Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Aug 1998 08:31:05 -0800
From:         YauMan Chan <YauMan@CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Changing -Reply
Comments: To: bogle@BWAY.NET, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Ah.. I know exactly what you mean. When I first read the Bentley manual, I was totally intimated. and in fact I didn't change the coolant on my 87 GL for the first 6 years. To make matters worst, a friend of my who bought her Vanagon a few months after mine from the same dealer took hers in to have the coolant change when it was 5 years old.. And 1000 miles later, the engine overheated and blew up.. I convinced her that it cannot be a coincidence and that she should make the dealer pay for a new engine. They went to court over it and got the dealer to pay for most of the repair... so by then I was totally paranoid about changing the coolant..until I found this page on the web:

http://ruralinstitute.umt.edu/vwbus/faq.htm

It has a very good description of changing the coolant by flushing the engine using one of those T-flush attachment. Basically the technique will leave clean water inside the engine water jacket and when the rest of the system is refilled with 100% concentrate coolant, the mixture will be about 50%. I have used this procedure since and am still on my original engine with all original parts after 120K miles (knock on wood!)

As for the part about lifting the nose up when refilling, I understand that it is absolutely necessary. I find that driving it up one of those repair ramps will lift the nose up by about 7inches. The procedure calls for 400mm which is about 8 inches. I now have a slightly sloping driveway..so I am ok with my 7" ramp. When I had to do it on a flat parking lot, I drive it up the ramp and then let most of the air out of the rear tires and I get my nose more than 400mm higher than the rear.. but what a pain pumping up the tires with a foot pump!

Yau-Man Chan 87 GL

>>> David Bogle / Architecture <bogle@BWAY.NET> 08/26/98 11:27am >>>

I am one of the lucky ones as the Vanagon Official Factory Repair Manual (Bentley) came with my '87, and before that with my '72. There are 4 pages covering the draining and filling of the cooling system. There _is_ more to it than my previous swedish cars ('59 PV544 & '75 245DL.) Has nobody put these fundamental details online? -- David Bogle

'72 Campmobile 2.0L '87 Vanagon GL Syncro Westfalia