Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:34:21 -0700
From:         Marcus <marcus46@FREEWWWEB.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagonitis Cured!  (F)
Comments: To: Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Mike, Didn't Ken and I tell you not to over look an automatic? Well your tac works and yes I've been hunting for that 5th gear for over 30 days myself. I know there'''''''''''''''s got to be a lever somewhere.My 1.9 doesn't seem to need a 5th gear.Maybe it's just the roar of the engine? But at 65mph and you floor it and in less than 3 seconds your going over 100mph there's got.......Ok just kidding.I think VW and the oil company's are in bed over this.You got to be careful about waving at 70mph. High winds can force your arm back with great force and could cause your hand to be thrown hard against the side view window, resulting in a trip to the Emer room.And of coures the window would have to be replaced.The best wave method is to keep both hands on top of the steering wheel in a fist like position.And when you want to wave just extent your fingers fully upward on one hand.Never extent only a couple of fingers, you might send the wrong message.I personally wave to everybody in this small TX town.To include the local cops. So far it has worked, I haven't been pull over in over 10 years.Another consideration is to watch out for a 1987 Westy from Canada belonging to Roy O, cause we all know what's on his mind.But at 70mph I don't see a problem.Well Mike enjoy the new to you van. Buy a Bentley and go to your local Sears for lots of metic tools.And good luck. Marcus

Why isn't there a 5th gear? There seemed to be > plenty of torque in the 2.1l to handle it. 70 mph equated to 4000 rpm! > For 13 hours!) It is at a vanagon.com-recommended shop right now getting > l > P.S. The highlight of my trip was when I casually waved to a Westfalia > driver approaching from the other direction -- and he waved back!