Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Aug 1998 13:16:01 -0400
From:         mike and becky <mayfly95@PAONLINE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ball joints replacement
Comments: To: Darrell Boehler <midwesty@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi Gerry

Replaced my upper and lower ball joints and wheel bearings and races while I was in there - got all the parts from Ron @ The Bus Depot pretty cheap, You will need come things like circlips and peening nuts from the dealer though. I did everything myself except the lower ball joint I took it to my buddy's shop to have it pressed in and by the way you don't have to spot weld the upper control arm bushings in place if you replace those. I did it all when I had it ripped apart saved a bundle from what the dealer wanted to replace the upper ball joint only.

If you have any further questions feel free to write back

Good Luck !

Mike 87 Wolf W/E

Darrell Boehler wrote:

> --------------------------Hi Gerry, The bentley book has all the > information you will need to get the job done. I have done the job > without any special tools and no press. It can be done but you need a > big hammer and pipe or socket that will fit over the lower joint so > force can be put at the proper place (outer edge of the joint). Big > hint, be sure the lower joints are properly oriented before > insertion. After doing the ball joints on my van I did buy a 30 ton > press, it makes the job so much easier and can be used for many other > jobs. If you remove the steering knuckles and upper joints and then > take them and the new lower joints to a local shop you should save > much on the job. You will need to have wheel alignment done after the > joints are replaced. If you are near southern Illinois drop by and I > will be happy to press them on for you. Darrell BoehlerMakanda > Illinois > > -----Original Message----- > From: gerry rafferty <gerryr@DIRECT.CA> > To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> > Date: Sunday, August 23, 1998 3:29 AM > Subject: Re: Ball joints replacementTook my van in for a > wheel alignment-requires upper and lower ball joints and tie > rod ends.Tried getting info from archives but it times > out.So has anyone tried changing above items?Is it worth > trying to do myself or let a VW mechanic do the job?I have > the Haynes and Bentley manuals-the upper ball joints and tie > rod replacement I think I can do but the lower ball joints > look difficult in the VW tools required.Does anyone have > exact location in archives(Month,Year) of above info?Any > opinions/suggestions welcomed.ThanksGerryR >

[text/html]