Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Aug 1998 21:02:11 EDT
From:         CarlMarin@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Cleaning my Water Tank
Comments: To: Vanagon@Vanagon.com

Here's what worked for me. Basically got the procedure from an RV book.

My water tank hadn't been used in a while when I bought the Westie so I first cleaned a bit of crud out of the bottom of the tank accessing through the big tank lid inside under that little sheet metal cover.(Leaving this lid off makes tank filling a snap, BTW) Then I filled the tank about 1/2 full and added 1/4 cup of Clorox bleach then finished filling the tank. I then ran the sink faucet for awhile until I smelled the bleach smell coming out. Drove around for an hour on errands and let the bleach sit for another couple of hours. Drained the tank using the faucet and pulling the cap on the bottom of the tank. To remove the chlorine taste and smell I refilled the tank with water adding to it a big cup of water (Super Big Gulp size) in which I had dissolved two heaping tablespoons of baking soda. This I also ran through the faucet until I felt the slippery water come out. I left this mix in and drove around some till the next day. Drained this mix and flushed with a final tank of clean water so no white crusties formed from the baking soda residue. Tank was then sparkling clean and hygienic. After a week camping at a place that had kind of rusty brackish water there was a bit of brown residue in the tank again so I just went through the whole procedure again and it cleaned right up ready for the next trip.

A bit time consuming but cheap!

Good luck,

Carl 84 and 85 Westies