Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Aug 1998 20:57:45 -0600
From:         JCLC Thomasson <jthom@NUCLEUS.COM>
Subject:      Re: BN4 Heater in '85 Vanagon Westy.-Follow-up! (2nd try!)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Sorry for a bad post the first time, but something went haywire with my email and unfortunately you can see the result! Plain Text this time!

(Original Message) A while back I posted a query on the mailing list: 031150 96/06/18 22:36 BN4 Heater in Vanagon - Is it possible?

Well I finally got the heater in and it works great. I managed to exchange some work on the '73 Westy in return for the heater. And what a deal that was. The combustion can was still gold, ie no blueing (or rust!) so it was almost brand new! I set it up on a board and tested it and it fired up immediately and produced quite a smoke screen as 25 years of accumulated dust burned off.

So I mounted it outside, parallel with the axles, above the transmission. I hung it from above (with the right orientation) using the existing bracket with the two rubbers, and another I picked up from the junker. I used 6 inch stainless hose clamps to secure it to the mounts, and bolted the mount up through the rear floor just ahead of the engine access. So it is rock solid but still uses the rubber vibration isolators. I got a reducer down to 4 in pipe for the outlet and an elbow from a heating supply and the mounting is that after the duct takes the 90 from the heater and passes through the firewall, a flexible duct runs along the roadside side of the existing rear heater box. The bimetal heater regulator is mounted in the flex pipe just before the outlet. I also mounted the electronics from the heater to that space inside as well to allow access and troubleshooting/reset. There is no access to the Heater once installed without removal. The glow plug can only be gotten to though, with a lot of twisting and swearing, but it is possible. The heater inlet uses the original plastic duct and I cut through the firewall again for it. That hole ends up in the middle between the heater box and the curbside wall. Exhaust originally went out the roadside but have since moved it to the curbside due to the pipe length issue and sooting. I plan on moving it back as I understand a little more about the heater and adjusting the fuel to prevent soot, and besides it really stinks every time one opens the sliding door. I use a programmable thermostat for temp control. (great for those cold Canadian winters when I can program it to heat the van just before the commute!). I also installed a relay that will turn the heater OFF once the van engine is started since there is the coolant heater then. I also installed a deep cycle camper battery to power it, with the charging circuit as per the Bentley book. The battery is currently under the rear seat but I plan to move it to the back of the closet since that is not always used space and vent it out to the roadside.

I've used it for a couple winter adventures and it kept the van very comfortable. It was not an easy install but I think it has been really worth it!

Cheers

Jim Thomasson '85 Westy, Calgary Canada