Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Aug 1998 20:25:45 -0700
From:         Debi Tippets <debi@YOSEMITE.NET>
Subject:      Read about my find!!!!! 84 Vanagon GL, longish
Comments: To: "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

...I bought a "Bronze" 84 Vanagon GL.

The only thing I can figure was wrong with it was the gas had gone bad in it while origional owners had it parked for two years. They donated it to a wrecking yard saying they couldn't get it to run right. [The wrecking yard owner also has a car dealer license. He also had it for two years, so I'm guessing the gas was four years old?] He said the tags expired in 94 creating a sizeable fine/fee to DMV, with the knowledge of the DMV fees I was the only one to seriously inquire about it. He said he'd hold it for me so I could get up the money. He told me what he wanted for it. The DMV fee's would be added to that and the total price would include the new smog Cert.

In the mean time I joined the vanagon list and started doing my home work.

At the time he said he thought it was air cooled. I checked the VIN... I found out it was a Water cool.

2.5 Months later, It's mine. I have the TITLE to prove it. hehehee Wahoo!!

As it turns out.. THE GAS WAS THE PROBLEM! I have run out three tanks of ChevronPREMIUM gasoline with Techron and injection cleaner added to each tank. It's running better and better. Finally have ALL that old gas gone ... knock on wood.... Later I found out the old gas was never drained: I'd have drained it had I known it was not previously drained....(#$&%^* yeah me,too).... While under the van with flashlight in hand, Heads are not showing any signs of leaking. (or any other fluid leaks for two weeks now, checking daily) On the back roads I have taken it up to 85 mph..... wheee! It drives so nice...No shimmy or wind screeming. Took it to the drive-in the past two Saturday Nights.

This 7 passenger is totally clean. No real signs on interior wear. Some scratches in the window film, a two inch corner tear (on the side) of the ceiling. You'd really have to l@@k for wear on the seats, they are like new. The exterior is dented in two spots where you can see if looking down the side view. (no creases, can be pushed out?) There are bunches of door dings where they opened their new cars into the side panel, other that that the only real damage is the: 1.) Front and rear bumpers. Guards for the bumpers? 3 out of 4 need replaced.

2.) Any ideas where I could get the touch up paint? This 84 Vanagon's color is: BronzeBeige Met.L H8U.

3.) With four kids, I would love to have a rubber floor mat. Are they are still available?

I was curious what kind of mileage it should be getting? And... What a van like this is worth? (It's not for sale, just curious about the deal I made.)

The Gentleman has other (parts) busses. I remember him referring to my van saying he doesn't have anything that new. (??) I saw Older ones, I remember seeing 72 written on one. He has a spit window, too. Windshield is missing. But might have something else from it you could use?? Plus another bus that has "odd" side windows, "windwings on the side " on portion of the bus behind the driver? I hadn't seen this one before.

I also know of a cherried out 71 for $6,500 U.S. close by. It's two tone baby blue & white, w/Black & Gray interrior. Near Yosemite National Park, Calif.

Thank you, Debi

Proud owner of a (7 passenger), 84 Vanagon GL ;~)

[text/html]