Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:54:18 -0400
From:         "ErikO@ebyte.com" <ErikO@EBYTE.COM>
Subject:      Re: TDI, TD and 2.0L conversions
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>,
          "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

David Marshall wrote:

> I will put money on Björn's TDI (to be) winning a race against your 1.8L or > my 2.0L gasoline powered Vanagon. Torque is where the TDI has a *BIG* > advantage. There is only a few FT/Lb less torque on the TDI as there is on > the VR6 plus the torque peek is at 149@1900RPM where the 1.8L is 110@3200 > and my 2.0L is 135@2600.

Would you agree there is a difference between performance on paper and real-life driving? I've always thought so. I've driven a TDI Jetta and while it's a truly remarkable vehicle, I wouldn't put it even close to the VR6 in terms of "kick". I've always seen huge differences between how a car runs and how it should run. For instance, Mazda Rotary engines. If I announced on the list that I was going to install a RX7 engine in my van everyone would be screaming "no low end torque", "that's a high RPM engine". I've met a guy in Columbus that installed rotary's in just about everything he owned, a bus, Vanagon, Ghia. I rode in the Vanagon and it was nice. You tell him his van is slow, if you can catch up to him.

I don't want you guys to totally misunderstand me so I'm going to come clean. I don't believe the performance figures of ANY auto manufacturer. Would VW have any incentive to show a higher performance stat for their engines? You bet your bubble block! I'm not saying they're lying, cheating, stealing... I just wouldn't bet the farm that what is published is proof.

I'm just sore because a couple months ago some jerk (from the list, but not anyone in the current discussion) was telling me how slow my van was "just HAD to be" and there was no way I could get more than 16mpg from my setup. He probably got all his "proof" from David's site :) I told him to go change his head gaskets and haven't seen him since :)

After Björn finishes his van let's all get together and race, say in Vegas. I'll concede he'll probably beat me, but there is no way he would beat your 2.0L crew cab. Nah-way!

(I am kind of kidding about all this racing stuff:)

Has anyone offically done a TDI conversion? Will Björn be the first? Cool!

_______________________ Erik O Akron, Oh 82 GTI Westfalia http://ebyte.com/gl http://ebyte.com/wow