Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Aug 1998 10:12:49 -0700
From:         Mike O'Mara <omaramik@GTE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Michelin MXT Tires for my '87 VANAGON GL
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Always lot of talk here about tires!

Wanted all to know that I just placed the much talked about Michelin MXT 205-70R14 tires on my Vanagon GL Wolfsburg. I had been using the Yokohama's as replacements for my original Michelins due to the cost difference. ($50 each versus $80). However, Yokohama no longer manufacturers the correct Load Range tire in this size.

FWIW: I think you should NEVER take a chance on the NON-reinforced tires. If a salesman gives you a song-and-dance about the H or V or ?? rating - WALK, no run, elsewhere. One hears stories about the tires going BOOM! in the worst places - "for no apparent reason" like a road hazard. Seems to me that the tires were stressed and just gave way! After 200K miles (+/-), I have never even had a flat tire on my Vanagon.....and I drive hard! (Knock wood - and buy good tires!)

HAD A TOUGH TIME FINDING the Michelins here in Seattle area. Several tire dealers couldn't or wouldn't order them - often trying to sell me higher speed rated tires rather than the reinforced, or Load Range C products. (I keep a file of who gives me BAD service - no more of my business!) Big retailer here, Les Schwab, wouldn't order them. Discount Tire would - but for $110 each plus mounting. At first this seemed to be the only way to go. To spend over $500 total for new rubber, just put me on a mission. Also, I considered the LT route but was concerned about the ride.

Good News! I would try COSTCO! The people at any store could not order them (I tried 5 different stores - some multiple times each), it was not in there "book" and had no special odering information for this tire in the "special" book. I decided to TRY to get COSTCO to order them. Persistence paid off! I called Michelin and they told me COSTCO could order them. I was provided the Michelin order number. Went back to the COSTCO store(s), still no luck. E-mailed the COSTCO Corp from their own website and was given the good news - the store could order them. I got COSTCO (local store - Kirkland) to order them from Michelin after being informed by the tire buyer how to do so. They arrived in a week, got 'em mounted and they are keeping me on the road as we speak. Icing on the cake - $78.99 each plus tax. Cherry on top - Costco had a special "$28 off " 4 tires deal that week so the mounting and balancing was free! COOL, HUH???!?!?!

For any of you who want to press your COSTCO tire salesman into service, the COSTCO item number on the tire and on my receipt is #66044. Maybe if we buy these often enough, they will realize they have a market besides Dodge Caravans and Toyotas . Let 'em know you are out there!

As me dear, saintly departed Mother always said, "Better to be lucky than good!"

Good luck to ya'!

Michael O'Mara '87 Vanagon '98 Jetta GLX - (Ms Carol, my wife, let's me drive it occasionally, if escorted) We have a lurid VW past: Karmann Ghia(1), Bugs(4), Super Bug(1), another Vanagon, Cabriolet(1), Audi 5000(1)