Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Aug 1998 13:52:59 EDT
From:         SyncroHead@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Tire Life? + Good Westy Syncro Tire?
Comments: To: robyn.rudisill@HOME.COM, Vanagon@Vanagon.com

In a message dated 98-08-27 21:44:25 EDT, Robyn Rudisill writes:

> My wife and I just bought a 91 Westy Syncro. It has 29,000 miles (I > couldn't believe it either) on it and the original tires. They look to me > a bit warn(but what do I know); the treads are just over an eighth inch deep. > When should I expect to replace them and what's a good candidate? > > Thanks for your time. > Robyn Rudisill > 1991 Westy Syncro > 1960 Type I

Robyn, For Syncros I reccommend the BFGoodrich Radial All-Terrain T/A in size 27x8.50R14LT. This tire carries a "Light Truck" designation (LT) and is quite tough. Good for both highway and off-road use and since it's a bit larger than the originals, will increase ground clearance a bit. I found that the increased size corrected my previous odometer error and now it's accurate to within 0.5%. When installing one of these in the spare tire carrier it's a bit tight. I've put about 5 BIG washers on the spare carrier bolt ABOVE the spare tire carrier bracket to allow it a bit more spare tire room. I use this tire on my 87 Syncro.

Remember, when changing tire sizes on a Syncro you will need to buy FIVE (5) tires to assure thay your spare is the same size as the others. If you put a spare on that's of a different size, you can damage (ruin) the all-important viscous coupling.

If you don't want to use all-terrain tires, I'd recommend the Michelin MXT in size 205/70-14 99S. I'm going to have a set of these installed this afternoon on my wife's 88 2WD Vanagon. The carry a much higher load rating (index 99, 1,709lbs) than any other tire of the same size I've found. Most other 305/70-14 tires only have a load rating of 93, equaling 1,433 lbs. Added to the regular weight of the Vanagon the Syncro add a bunch. Added to that, you also have the Camper model, which adds a bunch! This makes load rating the most important factor when choosing a tire for this van. The MXT tires unfortunately cose about $102. each! These should be the same size as the original Michelin MXL tires you have on your 14x6" alloy wheels.

Good luck, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg