Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Sep 1998 15:08:54 -0400
From:         DRG <75313.377@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      85 westy stalls after it gets warm
Comments: To: vanagon list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

new to list(hi all!) with a problem i hope hasn't been covered a hundred times before (altho if it's a standard thing maybe there's a solution...)

85 Digijet Westy, ran fine for 4 months after purchase, started running rough so took it in for tuneup. Subsequently, it would start and run fine

but stall out after 10 mins of operating. (Mech couldn't offer any conclusions about what his contributions to problem could have been). At first it would recover after sitting for 10-15 mins but later woudn't restart at all. Diagnosis by another shop revealed it was no spark when it stopped running(rather than fuel, which I would have suspected). Hall generator was replaced on shop's recommendation but it didn't solve it.

It's back in shop again but I don't think they'll figure it out: these intermittent problems are so difficult to control enough to get a proper read on them. Has this sort of thing ever been discussed as endemic to Vanagons of the 85 vintage? If so, maybe a VW dealer would have a bulletin on it. Any help greatly appreciated, I got this car to replace my 67 split and I absolutely love it, but it hasn't run reliably for most of a year and I want to go CAMPING!!!! Thanks David Griffin 75313.377@compuserve.com 85 Westy 78 GTI mutant