Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Sep 1998 01:11:01 -0700
From:         Randolph Feuerriegel <RFeuerriegel@BC.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      [Fwd: intake manifold vacuum?]
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Greetings Kai.

My oil consumption seems acceptable to me. I am driving alot in the mountains and I drive at 3500 to 4000 rpms for extended periods of time. I have owned a VR6 Passat Wagon, Jetta GTX 2.0L, both 5 speeds, and had similiar oil consumption with both vehicles. As for running rich, I know this because around town and short Hwy jaunts, my tailpipe remains clean. After a couple of hours on the hwy my pipe is black as in soot, but not burnt oil, and this is confirmed by VW mechanics who have serviced this vehicle. Also after a couple of hours the van starts to run a little rough. Still a mystery. The magic harness was made to deal with a sort of cutting out on extended driving. It is about 6" long, attaches to the afm harness just before the box. There is also a 2.00 fix involving a small capacitor which you solder to the pins of the afm harness. Check out the archives on this. In either case, it did not help me.

R.Feuerriegel 88 syncro in Victoria.

[message/rfc822]