Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Sep 1998 16:22:06 -0400
From:         Mark Bowie <72142.3566@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: AFM Spring Tension
Comments: To: "INTERNET:fairwind@northernnet.com" <fairwind@northernnet.com>,
          All <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Dan-

Thanks for the detailed instructions, I've been unsuccessful in solving the problem tho. The van still loses power and dies if I try to hold a constant speed. I'm only able to keep it running if I continuosly vary the engine speed, tho this is eventually futile as well and I have to shut it off and restart. I've hooked up a digifant tool, and it all checks out except I'm

unsure about the readings for the AFM and the OXS. I found that I was unable to keep it running at the 1.5V AFM level Darrell reccommends, I needed it to be about 2V (measured on the digifant tool) to keep it from dying at idle, but even then it suffers the loss of power problem. The OXS reading varies wildly from 0 to 1.2 V. To date I have replaced the OXS and the temp sensor, installed the capicitor in the AFM wiring harness, cleaned the AFM contacts, and tried to adjust the spring tension by your method.

Any ideas what to try next?

MTB