Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Aug 1998 20:05:22 -0800
From:         Chris Wyatt <cwyatt@GI.ALASKA.EDU>
Subject:      last summer trip of '98: Fairbanks-Valdez
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi Volks,

I'm pleased to see some upbeat trip reports on the listserve today. Here's my contribution:

Alina and I woke up Saturday 8/29 and surveyed the buffet of chores we needed to tackle. Most of these were to prepare our new house (new to us) for its first winter with us in it. Check the insulation on the wellhouse, pickup our belongings in the yard before they get buried by snow, etc. But the biggest job was to build a corral for the dog yard. I had taken Friday off from work to fell and peel about a dozen spruce trees from which to make three dozen fence posts, and we had three dozen holes to dig.

But the night before we had been over to the neighbors' for volleyball and BBQ (not the North Carolina definition of BBQ; back home we would have called this a cookout), where I had some Copper River red salmon which was so good that I didn't share it with my buddy who had grilled it (with a thick marinade of soy sauce, toasted sesame seed oil, lots of fresh garlic (minced), lots of fresh ginger (grated), a smidge of brown sugar, and fresh basil leaves). So on Saturday, all I could think about was reproducing that fine entree, the only problem being that there was no fish in my freezer. I got on the phone, called around until I found the "one-call" reservations place in Valdez on Prince William Sound, and the girl there set me up with a morning half-day charter for coho on the "Lucky Lady". I tossed sleeping bags, dogs, guitar, and empty coolers into my '87 Syncro GL, and within an hour we were on the road for the coast! Fairbanks is the northern terminus of the Richardson Highway; 360-something miles away is Valdez. The Rich parallels the southern half of the Alaska Pipeline for its entire length, more or less.

The trip down was not too rushed, since I had about 15 hours to make it to the dock. We hit the last ATM for 360 miles, bought a fishing license and the last gas for less than $1.50/gallon, and managed nearly 24 mpg before getting a few gallons (at $1.78 each) in Glenallen. Stops included the Food Cache in Delta Junction for the mandatory corndog (Chris) and ice cream (Alina, the vegetarian who was clearly along for the ride), and the Hitchin' Post in Glenallen for a burger and veggie nachos. It was opening day of moose season, and the road hunters were out in force, I tell you what. There is something a little Easy Rider-esque to passing a slow-moving pickup with a rifle hanging out of each window. Though the scenery along the way is world class, we had seen much of it before and it was a bit overcast, so we didn't stop much. There were some cool clouds pouring off the Black Rapids glacier in the Alaska Range, and a Super Cub took off next to us as we passed the Paxson Roadhouse. Mt. Hayes, the Delta Range, and the Wrangell volcanoes were all cloud capped, and it was dark when we climbed Thompson Pass and descended into Valdez. The ocean smelled great! We parked by the docks, walked the dogs one last time, and collapsed into our sleeping bags.

Sunday morning found me walking the docks at dawn, looking for my boat. When I found it, Capt. Steve invited me aboard, and introduced me to his brother/deckhand Randy, and my charter-mates Fran and Jackie. We cruised out of the small boat harbor and made our way towards Perkins' cabin. About half way to the point we slowed and began trolling for silver salmon. It didn't take long before a rod straightened at the release of the downrigger, and Randy shouted "FISH ON!" I was closest, so I pulled the rod from the holder and reeled in the first of 15 or so fish we caught. They put up a nice fight, and each time I reeled one in I was warmed by the adrenalin, since it was about 45 degrees and breezy on the water. While cruising in Valdez Arm, we saw one sea otter and one sea lion. Fran and Jackie spent a lot of time hanging out in the cabin of the boat, and I got to reel in more than my share of the fish we caught. I ended up with my limit of 6 coho, the biggest at about 12 pounds. Though we were the first boat out, eventually the water was crowded with dozens of boats of all sizes. The captain later told me that Alina could have come along on the trip. I told him that she would have enjoyed the company and the scenery, but the fish clubbing was not her cup of tea. She spent the morning shopping and sampling Valdez coffee shops, and when she met me at the dock Randy was almost finished cleaning the fish. I iced them down, tipped the deckhand, and we headed to Mike's Pizza for some lunch before we started for home.

The weather had been great all day, and it held out the entire way back to Fairbanks. We enjoyed great views in Thompson Pass, and stopped at Blueberry Lake to give the dogs some exercise. This is the area of the Chugach Range where they hold the extreme skiing championships and ice climbing competitions in the winter and spring, events I have yet to witness. The termination dust reached almost to the road at the top of the pass; it's already winter up there. I slept as Alina drove us to Paxson, where we fueled the van and admired what the new owners have done to the lodge there at the eastern end of the Denali Highway. The Wrangells were cloud-free; we tried to scope out the best route for a ski ascent of Mt. Sanford this winter. The Deltas and the Hayes Range were out, providing the best views of them I've seen in my five years in Alaska. They say La Nina will bring heavy snow to the Interior this winter; I hope it comes early and bridges the crevasses solidly for climbing season in the spring. We stopped at Fielding Lake in the Alaska Range to eat the rest of the pizza and feed the dogs. There was a cow and yearling bull moose in the lake at sunset, munching on whatever it is they munch on, with southbound ducks swimming about their knees. We watched them for several minutes, and left wondering if the hunters would find that young bull this week. Further up the road, we slowed to avoid another pair of moose, which trotted down the road ahead of the van for several seconds (this was the highlight of the trip for the dogs). And I can attest that Alaska is nearing the peak in the snowshoe hare cycle, because there were thousands of them along the shoulder and carpeting the gravel turnouts, and here and there staining the pavement. I mean, it looked like something out of a Hitchcock movie. I managed to avoid squishing any of them, much to Alina's approval, but it wasn't always easy in the Syncro! The bunnies were at various stages of transition from their summer brown to winter white; some had white feet and heads, and looked like they were wearing little brown suits.

It was getting pretty dark by the time we went through Delta Junction, and the moonlight on the Hayes Range highlighted them in a way I had not seen before, though I've gazed at the mountains a thousand times. I admired that view on my left for most of the 90 miles to North Pole, where I turned north towards our place on Chena Hot Springs Road. I was pondering making room in the freezer for my bushel of salmon, when I noticed what I thought at first to be a horizontal plume from one of the power plants in town. When it began to pulse and brighten, I recognized it as the aurora borealis, the earliest showing that I have ever seen by weeks. I'd never seen it in September, let alone August. I shook Alina awake, and we watched it explode until the entire sky seemed alive with the pale green-white glow. Then it collapsed into a single ribbon running east-west from horizon to horizon, with a bright green top, white center, and pink base. It waved and rolled and twisted, and we joined the few other cars in pulling onto the shoulder to take in the show.

We got home around midnight, and I spent a couple hours wrapping the fillets and steaks for the freezer. The spruce poles were still there, and hadn't taken the initiative to dig their own holes. The van deserved a bag of oats, or at least a fresh helping of Mobil1, since it covered the 700 plus miles in 36 hours without a single complaint. That was the first trip we had taken since it turned 100k a few weeks back, and the highlight of what worked out to be a busy homebound summer for the most part. But I've got a bunch of fish to remind me of the best weekend of the year so far, and if it lasts until spring, and I can get away to Moab for the Syncro Safari, I'll throw a salmon bake for anyone with a Volkswagen story.

Cheers,

Chris Wyatt '87 Syncro GL Fairbanks, Alaska