Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:22:39 -0400
From:         "Anthony L. Mourkas" <frankenstein@TELPLUS.NET>
Subject:      FS: 86 Syncro Westfalia, $9000, rough

I went to look at this van yesterday. 130K miles. Exterior was a light brown metallic with slightly contrasting top. Seam rust was very advanced behind front bumper, below utility outlets, at rear corners, some rust through. Top and luggage rack looked nice including seals, but skylight looked rough and if it could leak. Canvas looked good, screen had multiple tears. Tan interior looked very nice and complete. A/C not functional. Power mirror on driver's side did not work. Had the extra captain's chair which slides in the middle on tracks, per owner, "stored at my mother's house." Owner of two years never used stove, sink, or fridge so could not attest to their condition, I did not test. Driveshaft removed due to "trouble with the front differential, worn pinion, functional but whining." Could not inspect the driveshaft as it was also "stored at my mother's house." CV joints looked okay. Has rear diff lock, did not test. Motor was dirty and covered with sludge and did not always return to proper idle when releasing the accelerator while driving. Did not do compression test. Exhaust was very throaty, suggesting an exhaust leak. Gear box ground when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Did not test the granny gear. The only way to engage clutch was to dump at idle and then accelerate, otherwise massive chattering would result. Otherwise seemed to drive okay on a brief test drive around town.

I would rate this vehicle as a project. The interior is very nice, the outside needs considerable bodywork, and the mechanical problems are many. I passed, but perhaps someone on the list with deeper pockets and more mechanical knowledge would be interested.

The seller's name is Dan, and the vehicle is located in Portland, Maine. Dan's phone# is 207-874-0108. He did indicate willingness to negotiate. Please phone Dan if you are interested in purchasing this vehicle.

I don't think I can relate much more than the above, but I could try to help answer your questions about my brief inspection of this vehicle.

Tony

Anthony L. Mourkas Hampden, Maine, USA 1981 Vanagon Westfalia