Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Sep 1998 21:17:18 -0500
From:         Ken Korn <kkorn@JUMP.NET>
Subject:      Re: Missing Problem on Ljet Vanagon
Comments: To: John Larson <jdlarson@ix.netcom.com>
Comments: cc: "Vanagon List (E-mail)" <vanagon@vanagon.com>,
          "Porschelist 914 (E-mail)" <914@porschelist.org>

Well, after going through the entire ignition including a new coil, the missing persisted. I also checked FI components, changing out the fuel pressure regulator, air flow sensor (I have a spare), fuel pump output, and decided that all that remained was injectors.

Today I took them to a diesel injection shop that had the equipment to clean and test the injectors (in that order). After cleaning them ultrasonicly, and flow testing them, the injectors flowed within 3% of each other. I installed them this afternoon and voila, the missing IS GONE!

Tomorrow I'm hooking up my DMM to the O2 sensor to do some rough adjusting of the air flow meter spring. I think the FI is running lean.

Thanks to all for their suggestions, especially John Larson on the Porsche 914 list.

Ken

On Thursday, September 03, 1998 9:31 AM, John Larson [SMTP:jdlarson@ix.netcom.com] wrote: > Ken, sounds as if it has the dreaded "lean disease". Fatten the airbox up a > bit > and see if that helps. (Ya gotta illegally and immorally lighten the tension > on > the spring inside, and you need a CO machine to do it.) Not that I would > ever > recommend such a thing. > The best way, of course, is to get a wasserboxer. > John. > > Ken Korn wrote: > > > I know this is a Vanagon problem but there is a wealth of Type 4 knowlege > > on > > the 914 list so.... > > > > I have an 82 Vanagon Westfalia camper with the 2.0 Ljet aircooled > > engine.The > > engine is a California spec with Hall distributor. It has a miss under > > load > > especially at higher rpm's and loading. I have done the new plugs, wires, > > cap, rotor, coil, and the problem persists. Is it possible that I have > > some > > kind of fuel injection problem? BTW, I also have replaced the fuel > > pressure > > regulator and have swapped out the AFC with no change. > > > > Another (unrelated?) problem is that starting from cold, overnite sitting, > > > > requires a lot of cranking. Once it has started once, there is no problem > > starting again, even if it sits for an hour or more. > > > > Any ideas? I'm running out. > > > > Thanks, > > > > Ken > > 74 914 2.0 > > 75 914 1.8 > > 82 Westy 2.0 > > Austin, TX > > > > --- > > You are currently subscribed to 914 as: [jdlarson@ix.netcom.com] > > To unsubscribe, forward this message to unsubscribe-914@porschelist.org > >