Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Sep 1998 21:21:50 -0400
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@HALHINET.ON.CA>
Subject:      Clean drinking water
Comments: To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

For our Westfalia, we wanted clean drinking water system like the one we have in our cottage. Our cottage system uses a ultra fine silver impregnated ceramic filter with an activated charcoal core. The problem is that the ceramic filter requires more pressure than the Westfalia water pump can provide.

We bought a Shurflow pump and pressure tank, meant for a small sailing vessel, from West Marine and a Rainfresh ceramic drinking water filter canister, meant for a cottage/home, from our local hardware store. The pump is 12v, draws 4.5 amps and outputs over 35 psi with a flow rate far beyond our needs. The pump is equipped with a pressure switch so when the pressure tank reaches 30 psi, the pump turns off. The pump also is equipped with a check valve so no pressure is exerted back to the inlet water line.

The pump and pressure tank are so small and compact that they both fit on the left wall of the cabinet under the Westfalia sink in our '86 Syncro Camper. The water filter canister is mounted on the back wall of the cabinet. We still have room for all of the dishes/cups/mess that we put in there before.

The pump inlet is T'd into the 3/8" water line that feeds the sink faucet. We disconnected the "shore" connection water inlet and used that faucet connection for the filtered water supply to the sink faucet. The disconnected "shore" water inlet is now an outlet connected to the pressure tank for use as an outdoor shower. We lost our "shore" water inlet but what the heh?

Larry Johnson

"Life is uncertain so eat dessert first"