Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Sep 1998 18:31:23 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@HALCYON.COM>
Subject:      Syncro: OEM Boge vs KYB shocks again
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I have some more first hand data on the merits of KYB and Boge shocks on a syncro, specifically a syncro Westfalia. At the beginning of this summer, after running with the KYB GasAdjust shocks for almost two years, I installed a new pair of OEM Boge shocks. The ride was better with the OEM shocks but the handling was not as good as with the KYBs. After about 3 months and 3000 miles, I switched back to the KYB GasAdjusts (same pair). The switch confirmed my original perceptions: Handling is significantly better with the KYB shocks. To be precise (as precise as subjective perceptions can be), there is much less side to side sway with the KYBs. This is especially noticeable when simultaneously slowing down and turning as when braking on a cloverleaf freeway exit. When I first reinstalled the OEM shocks, I actually felt a bit unsafe for a while because I was used to taking the exits at a higher speed with the KYBs. The downside of the KYBs is the harsher ride--every little bump in the road is a jarring thud, especially with the tires inflated to 44 psi or so. I'm going to stick with the KYBs though as the better handling is more important to me than the softer ride.

One criticism of using the KYBs for syncros is that they limit suspension travel because they don't extend as far as the OEM shocks. I measured both shocks and here are the results:

KYB GasAdjust: 22 5/8" OEM Boge: 23 5/16"

The measurements were made from center to center of the mounting holes. There is a difference of 11/16". This difference is probably significant to hard core offroaders, but I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference otherwise.

Mark McCulley 87 syncro Westfalia