Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Sep 1998 20:10:37 -0700
From:         Lawrence Dongilli <buspilot@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Headlight Switches and Electrical Fires
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

> BTDT, congratulations, you have just aquired a melted headlight switch. > The good news is that any pre 80 rabbit or scirocco has the same switch or > you can shell out about $25 US from one of the discount parts places. Buy > two switches as I have killed two in the last year. The last one was 1 > hour from home at 2am!

It is not normal to go through two light switches in one year. It is wise to find and fix the problem rather than to keep throwing switches at it, else the problem may bloom into something much more serious.

If you are melting headlight switches, I would suggest checking/replacing the crimped terminals on the wires that lead to the switch. I suspect a slight bit of resistance has developed over the years (a bit of oxidation is all it would take) and is heating up with the hight current load. You may be able to feel the heat when the lights are on if you touch around the connector. I just encountered similar problems with the air conditioning wiring a little ways back (mentioned in an earlier post). Connections getting _really_ hot.....but not along the length of the wire. Replaced the terminal (crimped and soldered)......like magic I got a cool connection. Did them all this way. Worked wonders.....night and day.

_All_ of your crimped connections are vulnerable to some degree....but the high current circuits are the ones that are going to get hot. I am not talking about 'a lot' of resistance either. A connection with one half ohm resistance on a 20 amp circuit can dissipate 200 watts! It is gonna get hot! Please check your connections.....I cannot stress this enough!

Also, if you are using older used switches, it is possible to encounter higher contact resistance from normal wear and tear. Over time, the contact surfaces can also oxidize from all the normal arcing and micro welding present. Just be aware.

By the way, I just got some sensor terminal samples from 'Amp' Corp. They make all sorts of electrical contacts, connectors, etc. They are _huge_. I bought a couple of replacement female sensor contacts (for use in injector, O2 sensor, temp sensor and other connectors in the engine compartment) from the VW dealer to use as a reference, and did some research. I found a match! The newer style contacts from the dealer are much better than the original style, as they have a much higher insertion force (due to an additional external clamping 'spring') _and_ gold plating on the contact face. Very nice. They will stand up much better to years of heat and vibration. The dealer charged me something like $1.57 each for them, but I think Amp wanted only $0.15! It was interesting to note that these particular parts came from Amp of Germany.

I am going buy a bag and get to work.

Lawrence