Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:14:17 -0400
From:         Ed Stevens <ejstevens@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Let's include Vanagon list instructions as listserve signature
Comments: To: Vanagon List <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

>Could someone please tell me how to set NOMAIL as I'm going away for a week.

>please take me off the discussion group; mangold@ez2.net

>Please unsubribe me

I use to respond to those people, I no longer have the time to do so. I imagine some of you help these lost souls, others wonder whether they will be getting the help they need from someone else ;) I wonder whether the energy and replies of 10 people went out to them. I wonder whether they saved the intial vanagon list instructions.

On other lists I have seem people get downright rude when they were not unsubscribed via these misdirected messages [ I am thankful that this has not happened on our list in a long while]

I propose that we solve this problem once and for all.

I propose that we place a message at the end of each email distributed from the server that tells how to unsubscribe and get digest mode. We did this awhile ago and the UNSUBSCRIBE problem was solved. I think it occurred when our server was down and we were the guests of another server. This was the message we saw.

This is the message I propose (I do _not_ think it is technically correct)

>To turn digest mode on, send E-Mail to listserv@vanagon.com with no >subject and one line saying SET VANAGON MAIL DIGEST

When I say the problem was "solved" I mean that the rest of us did not have to give any thought to the plight of the person who wants to get off or go to digest mode. the info is there in the many messages they have already received. easy enough for each of us to be self-sufficient.

I see this as a WIN_WIN solution and I think we should impliment it ASAP. We did it once before and I think it is a good idea.

I have also given thought to objections and limitations of some members as I will discuss below:

I also realize that this will lengthen each and every message you already receive. Some of us may be not be using unlimited local phone calls or unlimited access to the email servers. Others may be using old, OLD computers and line item email reading programs. I am sorry if my proposal would affect you, but I do not think it will be as inconvenient as you may fear. Please read on.

(1) computer phone time is a function of the bandwidth you use and without going into the technical aspects of it let me just say that if an email is double in length you will not see/pay for twice the time to download it. The incremental time will hardly be noticeable. As a matter of fact it is more efficient to download the message text at the end of the end of XXX messages than to actually download YY separate messages that request info on how to unsubscribe or digest...

I do not propose to figure out the relationship of XXX to YY here, but we may already be near the indifference point in our current list traffic.

(2) old computers with old email software would be an issue. When I first joined the list I was using ELM, an ancient and slow character based UNIX email software. Some of you may still be using it, it does get the job done. I know when reading email in ELM I got in the habit of recognizing that the message signature was coming up and I did not continue to read it. I imagine many of you do this already to avoid the inefficiency of your software.

I think the overwhelming majority of us use machines that are not going to be dragged to the ground with 6 extra lines of signature. I think we should run our list with the resources and conveniences of the overwhelming majority in mind.

I know all of us will benefit from not having to deal with the subscribe/unsubscribe, digest/nodigest issues.

-peace Ed Stevens Valley Forge PA