Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Sep 1998 13:08:56 EDT
From:         Todd Hill <Jwilli941@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: auto vs. manual-reply
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Mark Gajewski wanted to know the hows and whys of an automatic vs. a manual trans.

Briefly, I'm partial to manuals ;), however, credit is due the 010 version of VW's automatic that went into the Vanagons. This was a beefed up version of the unit used in the Rabbits/Golfs/Jettas that found its way into the Vanagon and some Audis. From my experience as a VW dealer tech they seemed to be pretty realiable and tended to give good service/durability.

There were a couple of weak areas with the 010. One was that VW failed to include a service interval in the owner's manual (uhh... whats that? ;). Because of that most owners treated it as a sealed part that never needed checking or servicing. These transaxles should be checked everytime your oil is changed and should be serviced at least every 24 months- IM not so HO. Dirty ATF is the bane of this kind of transaxle and killed more trannys before their time than I can count. It wasn't the owner's fault; they were following the recommended service procedures that VW published when the vehicle was sold. VW has since revised the service requirements for the Auto but alot of older Vanagons are now on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th owners and they may not be aware of this revision.

The other weak area that I can think of right now is the habit of the pinion shaft seals failing and the auto portion of the transaxle pumping ATF into the differential section. I've scalded myself a few times while checking the diff with hot mixed ATF/Gear oil squirting out under pressure from the diff. I learned very quickly to stand off to the side and have a drip pan handy! You can tell if the pinion seals have failed if when checking the ATF level you find that it is low- or bone dry!- and then using your trusty 17mm wrench on the diff section find that it seems overfull. If the diff gear oil has a reddish-brown tint and feels watery vs. the more normal dark amber brown thicker fluid then you know that the seals have failed. The only way to fix it is to yank the trans out, seperate the two halves, replace the seals, and reinstall in reverse order (as the Bentley would say).

Finally, again IM not so HO opinion, VW tends to treat the North American market like an unwanted step child. There is no R&D going on with this now superceded vehicle and transaxle design so the parts available now are the best we're going to get. The last reseal job I did the seals seemed to be of the same design and mfg. as the old ones so this maybe a continuing problem like the head gasket leak. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here but just passing along what I saw with the autos (not that the manuals were perfect either!) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~