Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Sep 1998 13:02:34 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Unknown code of Vanagon front diff
Comments: To: aon.911310011@aon.at
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Harold, you are the first person I have ever met who has a 4.57 ratio. This is very strange indeed as 98% of syncro owners with whom we are in contact seem to have only 4.86 transmissions with the remainder 16" folks with the 6.XX ratio. Are you familiar with anyone trying to change their transmission ratios, and have any comments about the problems and solutions in taking this action? In particular, do you know whether the parts for all ratios are still readily available in Europe?

This information in your post deserves to be in the archives so I am forwarding it to the list. I have also included a front diff code letter list from Martin P. at the end of this post.

You have reinterated to us the danger of driving around with a cooked and binding VC (which I have been doing for 2 years now). My transmission has so far held up, however. I hope I have not damaged it. I hope to have the new VC/Diff in there by the end of September or October.

At 02:39 PM 9/10/98 +0200, you wrote: >Hi Derek > > >> Incredibly, I went out to the garage just now and dispite the fact that >> you, SDP, and everybody else tells me there were no ADKs, my front diff >> says ADK and there is no mistaking the K. It is definitely a K. Possibly >> this was indeed some internal unit for Volkswagen factory use only or >> something like that. > >The part number 094 409 410 SDP is the number of the front cover from >the >diff, as SDP told you. You can see it in your mircrofich at page 50-20 >number 7. >The whole diff has another part number. > >To know the ratio it is not necessary to remove the cover. You must only >turn the >side of the driveshaft flange and count how much turns the flanges to >the >cv joints make. (for example 34:7 : 34 turns at driveshaft are 7 turns >at the cv joints) >Last year a SDP engineer told me to do so, to check the ratio without >removing the >cover. >Please tell me the ratio, Iīm interested what it is. >(Last year the main shaft was broken in my rear tranny because the visco >coupling was >binding since I had my car [I always thought thatīs normal, but it >isnīt]. The binding ist >very dangerous for the front and rear tranny. Now I know it. I could >compare >my car with another syncro and a 16" syncro too [here in Europe they >exist and they have >a stiffer vc coupling, as SDP told me] and I could feel that there is >no binding if the >vc coupling works correct. Otherways the vc is bad and can damage the >front or rear transmission >and other parts. > >I have a ratio of 4,57 in my diff. This was available only in Europe >with the 112 HP engine >without catalyst (now I have a catalyst at my 112 HP engine. I mounted >the exhaust system >from the 95 HP engine "MV") > >I read much of your mails at vanagon mailing list very interested and I >must say it is a >pity that there doesnīt exist such a list in Europe. >Here we have only two (little) lists: >http://www.parsimony.net/forum/forum165/ > and >http://home.t-online.de/home/sr-spiegel-und-glas/t3.htm > > >bye, Harry > >___________________________________________________________________________ _______________________ > >E-mail: haraldholecek@hotmail.com > Harald.Holecek@datakom.at

The following code letters are applicable to the different front diff housings available: ADH ACU AHU AHT AKH AKF ANB ANC AOM AOL AAM AHB ALM ALN

There is no ADK. You probably misread the ADH one.

________________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington, DC drew@interport.net '90 Syncro Westfalia... ...seen off-road at http://www.tiu.net/~des/vw/drew/index.html

Also seen at: http://www.pipeline.com/~tforhan/swrange.htm http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/snow.html http://www.pipeline.com/~tforhan/swmassn.htm http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/Campers/Campers.html

Note: most valuable Vanagon sites on the planet (for owners) are: http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=vanagon ftp://gerry.vanagon.com/pub/