Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Sep 1998 15:21:11 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: auto vs. manual
Comments: To: mike and becky <mayfly95@PAONLINE.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

------------------ Hi Mike, The bentley is pretty hard to beat with all the pictures and cut away . You don't need all the special tools but a couple of them are difficult to do a quality job without. One is the adjusting ring tool page 35.34 vw381/15 . You can make one of these with some angle iron and grind it to fit. Another is the round nut tool page page 35.38 vw 381.14 . I feel you absolutely need one of these to torque the round nut back down to 162 ft lbs.. I have talked to some, even full time mechanics who have taken the 091 apart and put it back without any special tools. I have make a round nut tool from a plumbing coupling and used a dermal and file to put the teeth in it to fit the serration's on the round nut. This took much time and patience, I am retired I usually have both. You will need gear pullers and some pipe to move gears and bearings off and on. You need to be a bit of a gear head and maybe have a friend lend a helping hand at times. The transaxle is probably easier to rebuild than an engine. I have done rebuilds without a shop press but now have one and used it quite a lot on my recent 091/1 rebuild. Several of the other tools may be nice to have but I have been able to use regular shop tools for measuring and setting clearances. Darrell

Ps.There was once upon a time a Bob Hoover sermon on transaxle rebuilds that I used to gather knowledge and courage enough to do my first transaxle rebuild. Thanks Bob and we miss your sermons. Maybe someone on the list knows him well enough to extract the transaxle sermon from him for all to use.

-----Original Message----- From: mike and becky <mayfly95@PAONLINE.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, September 10, 1998 1:33 PM Subject: Re: auto vs. manual