Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Sep 1998 17:39:57 -0400
From:         David Bogle / Architecture <bogle@BWAY.NET>
Subject:      Syncro CV Job Tools?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hello all,

I've read the postings about CV jobs, boot replacements, grinding/braking symptoms and even Joel Walkers step by step description at http://ruralinstitute.umt.edu/vwbus/faq.htm#cv-joints. I'm convinced that at least one of my CV joints is bad since at slow speed sharp right turn produces a braking feeling. Also, front left outer boot is torn (bought it that way last month.) I assume these front outer joints are the most likely to be affected by steering.

Since I live in Brooklyn and have no garage, driveway or parking space at the moment, other than on the street, I need a definitive list of tools, both special and ordinary, that I will need to attempt this task. Everything from jack stands to circlip remover to the 12 point "triple square" wrenches. This may be asking for too much. I will have a window of about 3 days in which to complete, during most of which there will be only a FLAPS open. I can get a few new CVs and all the boot kits in advance, of course, I just don't want to start and find out that I need VW408a, VW412, VW415, VW205b, A(?), 3144, VW401, or VW402 as shown in the Bentley manual. The Bentley has several illustrations with insufficient captions. Might the new Haynes manual that the Bus Depot has give more elementary instruction?

Alternatively, I can drive to a local CV outfit and let them do the job. What are the chances that they will use the right parts and tools?

Thanks in advance, -- David Bogle Brooklyn '72 Campmobile 2.0L (For Sale '87 Vanagon GL Syncro Westfalia