Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Sep 1998 10:44:42 -0400
From:         Mark Gajewski <mgajewski@MANVILLERUBBER.COM>
Subject:      Re: 84 temp. gauge and idle stabilizer electrical problem
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Kurt Stoppkotte wrote:

> On a trip back from the West coast my temperature gauge and the red > warning light suddenly indicated that my van was overheating. Suddenly > the light stopped flashing and the gauged lowered into a normal > position.

My '85 gave me these symptoms twice - both times were when one cylinder was leaking compression pressure into the cooling system due to a bad head gasket (metal shim on top of cylinder) seal. Running on the highway the pressure in the system caused the expansion tank to overfill until it was completely full-right to the very top. Then, when I pulled off at an exit ramp and slowed down the coolant level in the main tank would drop way down causing loss of continuity in the level sensor which makes the red light flash and pegs the temp gauge to max. Basically, just because temp gauge goes to max. and light flashes does not mean you are overheating. It could just mean low coolant level.