Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:48:37 -0400
From:         David Bogle / Architecture <bogle@BWAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wrong Tires from PO, ramifications?
Comments: To: SyncroHead@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Jim Davis wrote:

> In a message dated 98-09-10 23:49:17 EDT, Dennis Haynes wrote: > > > The 215/70's should work fine. I have used them with great success. The > > reinforced Michelins are only rated at 1570 lbs.. Not too much difference. > > The reinforced Michelin MXT tires in size 205/70-14 are rated at 1709 lbs for > passenger car use. Max pressure is 50PSI.

Good to know. MXTs are not on the Michelin web site and the FLATS didn't know the max psi.

> David Bogle wrote: > > >El Dorado Legend > >P215/70R14 > >Tread: 2 ply steel + 2 ply polyester > >Sidewall: 2 ply polyester > >Max Load: 705 kg (1554 lbs) at 240 kpa (35 psi) > >Tread Wear: 560 Traction: A Temp: B > > Dennis has said numerous times that tires with P (passenger car) ratings need > to be de-rated by 10% for Light Truck (pickups, vans, etc) use. This makes > the 1554 rating about 1400Lbs and the Michelin MXT about 1540Lbs, a 10% > difference. Also of note is that the VW's recommended tire pressure for the > 205/70-14 tires is 40PSI at the rear tires...

You are the second listmember today to state the 40 psi figure. My Bentley manual says Front 2.5 bar (36 psi), Rear 3.0 bar (44 psi), Spare 3.0 bar (44 psi). This is on a page marked "syncro" in a box at the bottom (page44.5.)Okay, now since the tire rack doesn't have the MXTs and my FLATS wants $108 ea installed, where else can I compare prices?

Regards, -- David Bogle

'72 Campmobile 2.0L (For Sale) '87 Vanagon GL Syncro Westfalia