Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Sep 1998 09:56:52 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Safari '99, Where? When?
Comments: To: SyncroHead@AOL.COM, vanagon@vanagon.com

PLEASE PLAEASE PLESAE make it the Pacific Northwest or British Columbia! The south western states are too far for me to go and I would really want to go!

There are all sorts of cool off roading places here where you actually go somewhere and not beat the rat-s#!t out of you Vanagon. Yanks Peak comes to mind as a nice and scenic all day trip that is in some of the most beautiful contry I know. Also in this area is Barkerville [ historic gold mining town ], Bowron Lake P.P. [ chain of lakes that take about 3 to 7 days to paddle - lots of German and Swiss tourists ], there is a complete maze of logging roads that are from class 1 to class 5 with the average being class 1.5 to 2.5 to see something interesting.

My $0.03 cents worth anyhow.

At 03:09 9/12/98 EDT, you wrote: >Hello Syncronauts! > >It's time to do some preliminary planning on the Syncro Safari 1999. I would >like to have a place, dates and a tentative plan in place by the end of >October. > >I'd like to do a multi-day trek with a different resting spot each night with >a couple of "off" days. If we cannot work out this plan, we can use the "stay >in one spot and take day trips" format of the Syncro Safari, Moab '98 event. > >I am soliciting suggestion on where and when the event should be held. I >expect it will be in the western states of CA, WA, OR, NV, AZ, NM, CO, ID, WY, >or UT. > >Suggestions so far have included: San Juan Mountains of Colorado, Death >Valley, and "many places" in Arizona. Since location and date are linked by >expected weather, please also include a suggested date range that is likely to >provide good weather. > >I would also like to hear suggestions on the duration of the event. I think >about 3 days of off roading is plenty and we could do something like: > >Sun, Day 1: Arrive, meet, get acquainted. >Mon, Day 2: Off road drive >Tue, Day 3: Play, goof off, whatever (hopefully where there's something to do) >Wed, Day 4: Off road drive >Thu, Day 5: Play, goof off, whatever (hopefully where there's something to do) >Fri, Day 6: Off road drive >Sat, Day 7: Rest or start for home > >Over a 9 day period ( two weekends & 5 weekdays) we'd have 5 days & 6 nights >together and this would allow up to 4 days of travel to/from the event. > >Location and date priotity will be given to last year's Syncro Safari >participant's suggestions who are planning to attend again. > >Suggestions? > >In a multi-day trek (from one starting point to one end point, over several >days) there are many issues to be resolved including: Access to fuel, access >to food, food storage, medical attention, repair facilities, etc. Also on days >in which we take a break from 4-wheeling, we'd like to be in someplace worth >spending some time at. > >Another factor weighing in on the >location is accessibility to someone who might be able to provide local >information and check things out for the group. I can do this in southern >California, but certainly couldn't provide these services in New Mexico or >Washington for instance. We CANNOT rely solely on guide books. They are >often wrong, especially as the BLM, NFS, and other govenrment agencies >continue to close off-highway routes. It would be a bad thing to drive 1,000 >miles to find our route closed to access, by the govenrment or made impassible >by damage from El Nino, or other factors. Still another factor could be >proximity to those who will be attending. I wouldn't expect to do a Syncro >Safari in a particular area if the average distance the event was too high. > >Another consideration is the possible attendance of a Syncronaut from Germany, >Juergen Havekost, with his 16" Syncro. He plans on doing a US tour from April >to June and suggests that mid May might co-incide well with his trip. > >Last, don't know what a Syncro Safari is? Check out the (admittdly out of >date) information on the 1998 event at: >http://members.aol.com/syncrohead/SyncroSafari.html >Some photos of the event are also available at: >http://members.aol.com/syncrohead/MoabVanagonPhotos.html > >Regards, >Jim Davis >87 GL Syncro >88 GL Wolfsburg > >

-- David Marshall, Quesnel BC, mailto:david@volkswagen.org -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KQ -- -- 85 1.8L VW Cabrio, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- USE DAVID@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG WHEN SENDING PMAIL --