Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Sep 1998 11:21:56 -0400
From:         Bob O'Shaughnessy <vanagon@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      '89 GL FS $1900
Comments: To: Vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

The following van is not mine!!!! Calling or emailing me won't do you much good, unless you want me to look it over again, which I may be able to do.

The ad in the paper reads: $1900. '89 VW Vanagon Power windows & steering, 5 spd., Maroon, seats 7. Great for camping. Call 471-2843

So, being cuious, I called. I talked to the father of the guy who's selling the van. The kid is back from college and has bought a smaller vehicle to get to work and wants to sell the van. It has 170k or so on the clock and may or may not have an oil pressure problem. The father said that the oil light comes on after a while on the freeway. He also gave me his son's phone number: 614-471-2892 his name is Craig Spadafore.

So I went to take a look at it. It is maroon, with grey bumpers, which are intact, but have been bumped a bit. The body has a few nicks and bruises. Some scrapes, and a dented and rusty passenger rear wheel well. The interior has curtains installed, and has the weekender seats. It is missing the center of the A/C pipe on the ceiling. No headreasts except for the front, and didn't seem to have holes. Sony removable face stereo. From underneath the engine looked okay, not good, not bad. It has plenty of oil on it, but I couldn't see any specific leaks, nor puddles. The trans (couldn't see if it was really a 5-speed) had some oil guned around the shifter lever, but don't they all. The tailpipe is rusted off, but the rest of the exhaust seemed okay.

Okay now you know what I know. Sounds like a good van if the engine checks out. Not too much hippie dammage, a few stickers is all.

I *may* be able to look at again for you, but I'm starting a new job on Monday and have a 4.5 month old son.

Good luck.

Bob O'Shaughnessy, Columbus, OH vanagon@columbus.rr.com 85GL with basic Westy interior 74 Bus (Dad's) 72 Wife, 94 Rabbit, 95 Cat, 96 cat, 98 Kid