Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Sep 1998 04:02:43 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: a lot o' goop about grease!
Comments: To: "A. Kimmons" <akimmons@PDQ.NET>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 10:28 PM 9/13/98 -0500, A. Kimmons wrote: >Larry Carter wrote: > >> Hello Racer X; MoS2 grease stands for Molybdenum Di-sulfide grease. The >> MoS2 additive is an extreme pressure additive, added to a grease carrier to >> resist breaking the grease down under extreme pressure situations. >> By the way, there's no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers. >> If you don't ask, you won't find out. Larry Carter >> > >Thanks. Gotten a lot of good response on the MoS2. Made the mistake of using >that >white lithium grease for awhile and after putting it on everything around the >house, >learned of it's destructive qualities on rubber. Now I just paranoid about >these things. > >I've bought something called Sta-Lube extreme pressure MOLY-GRAPH multi >purpose grease at the local Pep Brats, but the only MOLY anything on the label >is in the name. >This is a lithium base grease too but black and I don't know whether to use it >or not. > >man...this is a lot o' goop about grease! >

I use this stuff (Sta-Lube Moly-graph) for general lube on my cars, but buy the CV-joint grease for CV use. Sta-Lube makes a "CV Joint Grease" (Product No. 3174) specifically for CV joints (although the MOLY-GRAPH tube says it is suitable for CVs). I have used both this and Lobro grease, but the Sta-Lube, as you say, is more commonly available in my Friendly Local Auto Parts Store. The Sta-Lube CV grease says all old grease must be removed and the joint solvent cleaned before the new grease is applied. I don't know if this means that the grease is somehow incompatible with other greases. This might matter to folks who use a needle to inject new grease through their boots.

Both Sta-Lube Moly-Graph and their CV joint grease contain molybdenum disulphide. The Moly-Graph also contains graphite. The CV joint stuff says it is 3% Moly-D, but I don't know the percentage in the other -- it does not say on the tube I've got.

Malcolm