Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Sep 1998 04:17:04 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: How To Get Fatherland "Vanagon" Lists delivered here in
              English
Comments: To: Helmut Zeidler <Helmut_Zeidler@NOTESMAIL.NOKIA.COM>,
          Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

>>They refer to us as T3 owners, but we think of ourselves as Type 2 here. >>Tom N. Mr. 16" fame previously explained the discrepancy on this list. >I haven't seen a reply from Tom, so it's my turn. VW developed several >models, starting with T1, which is the bug, beetle, Ka:fer. Second >vehicle developed by VW is the T2, the known VW-Bus. Third one is T3, >in US known as Fastback, Notchback. > >But that's not all, in the ongoing development of the VW-Bus VW continued >to name them T1, T2, T2a, T3 (Vanagon), T4 (Eurovan). The full naming >of the Vanagon should be T2T3. In the German it is usual to name the >Vanagon T2, even on VAG garages. So there is a conflict on the German >VW-Bus list, some do name Vanagon T2, some T3. There is an own query >about the naming, and I recommended to name the Vanagon T3, as the list >contends only VW-Bus (T2) related messages. >

I always assumed that all of the Transporters were VW Type II's. Here, we usually don't see this abbreviated "T2", but more often as "type2" (like in the type2 mailing list). The "T2", "T3", etc. seems to refer to "Transporter Mk 2". The thing called a Vanagon in the US is a Transporter Mk 3. It is _not_ a "type 3" VW, which was a series of VW's with "pancake" engines -- the Squarebacks, Fastbacks, Notchbacks and some Ghia's. The US "EuroVan" is a Transporter 4. The Type 4 was a VW series that included the 411 and 412's -- and the origin of the aircooled "type4" motor that powered the '73-'83 buses and Vanagons.

I guess it is a shame that "Type" and "Transporter" both start with "T". I assume this is the same in German (how did English ever get the name "German" for the language/country?).

Malcolm