Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:56:32 -0700
From:         Björn <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Subject:      Re: TDI, TD and 2.0L conversions
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I was not really thinking of racing with the TDI. However, people who have driven the TDI Vanagon report a very solid feeling of power thanks to the torque. This includes people who have done other gasoline engine conversions. If you thinking of end speed, then there are faster gasoline engines because of higher rpm. If you are concerned about acceleration and power from the bottom up and fuel economy, then it will have to be a TDI which can even be tuned electronically for more power.

It depends where you want to go. For example take a Syncro off road and you will appreciate high torque. Yesterday I hit wet clay which grabbed and sank my front wheels. I got out but only with a lot of clutch play and I was dreaming of a TDI.

In addition any gas engine will beat the TD or TDI to the gas stations. A gasoline engine in a vanagon consume typically between 12 and 14+ litres/100kms. A TDI will consume between 7.5 and 8.5 L/100kms. Also environmentally the TDI does better than a gas engine. The TDI as well as the modern TD engines do not have the Diesel smell any more since they use a catalytic converter.

The German site of Martin Schulte http://www.koeln.netsurf.de/~Martin.Schulte/welcome.html gives you a good run down on a conversion. The problem with the TDI in North America is its availability and its price, which dampens the economy of the conversion.

Björn

Björn Ratjen, Ph.D.

Canada ph/fax (250) 743-7575