Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Sep 1998 01:03:24 EDT
From:         Michael Modl <Modl6971@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant warning light problem, REPLY
Comments: To: barryfreed@WA.NET, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 98-09-15 00:40:08 EDT, barryfreed@WA.NET writes:

<< In late May and early June we made a 4000+ vacation from Washington State, through So. Cal, Arizona, Utah and Idaho with nary a problem in our recently acquired '87 Westphalia. Last weekend we took a 120 mile trip to go camping and wouldn't you know it......

On the way back the engine coolant warning light began flashing after driving about 30 miles on the freeway. The temperature gauge needle was just below the light. We stopped and checked the coolant level in the expansion tank and the refill tank and both were OK. Belts looked fine. The owners manual said that the fan should be running when the light is on, which it wasn't. Checked the fuse (it couldn't be THAT easy) and it was fine. Engine temp didn't seem to be extreme. We let it sit for 10-15 minutes and started again. Keeping the speed to around 55 mph we were able to go 20 or so miles before the light came on again. It doesn't go on around town or on short runs on the freeway.

I have not worked on any of my vehicles since selling my '67 bus 12 years ago and have lost what little mechanical apptitude I had. I am hoping that this might be something simple to correct that I can do myself. My guess is that the fan motor has gone out. My second guess, after looking at my Bentley is that it might be the thermo-switch for the fan. I am guessing this is similar to a thermostat on a "normal" car and it looks like something I can replace myself. How's that for creative diagnostic thinking?)

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kevin Ainslie Puyallup, WA '87 Westphalia-Gonzo >> Hi Kevin, it's not your fan motor, thermo fan switch or your thermostat because it's not overheating, your gauge is reading only half way. You don't need a fan motor or a thermo switch to be working anyway when the vanagon is moving ( freeway speeds) because the ram air is passing through the radiator. Here is a simply test. In your engine compartment , rear left, is the coolant reseviour, ( make sure there is coolant in it, DO NOT open with a hot motor, stone cold only.). On top is the coolant level sensor. Remove the electrical connector, bridge the connector with a wire, by doing this you are fooling the control unit that controls the stupid red light that there is coolant in the reseviour. Remember, that the light is there for only two reasons, if it over heats it will turn on the light and if the coolant in the reseviour (engine compartment) drops below minimum. Ok, leave the wire bridged, drive the vanagon as you normally would, if the light comes back on, you need a new temp gauge. If it doesn't come back on you need to change the coolant ( if its non VW coolant, and has to be a 50/50 mixture) and replace the coolant level sensor. Good luck. Michael Modl 87 syncro 87 quattro VW service department, Bellevue VW, WA.