Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:52:08 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon fuel requirement
Comments: To: "Roy O." <keepsake@PANGEA.CA>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In British Columbia there are a few more choices in gasoline. Chevron and Petro Canada (select locations) have 94 Octane and Huskey and Mowhawk have 93 (10% grain alcohol - bad for the fuel injectors o-rings), Shell has 92 and Esso and most Petro Canada's have 91 octane as their highest octane.

A good rule of thumb is to remember that the higher the octane the less potential energy the gasoline has and therefore you will need to burn more to produce the same amount of power. In a low compression Vanagon 87 Octane will give you the best economy. The problem with most 87 octane fuels is there is no cleaning additives. Chevron is the exception to this.

When I had my wasserboxer I always used 87 octane from Chevron or 89 Octane from Petro Canada as there was no benafit for the higher octane. Now that I have the 10.5:1 compression ratio Audi engine I usually run 89 as a minimum and treat it to 94 when I can. The timing is set to 12 deg BTDC on my Audi engine with 94 octane fuel. The total advance is +30 degrees from the initial timing value. When I put 87 octane fuel in the tank the knock sensor will bring the timing down to about 4 BTDC so the overall advance is less and therefore I get less power. The 8 degree difference account for about a 5 to 8 hp difference and an even greater torque difference.

At 21:35 9/14/98 -0500, Roy O. wrote: > According to a local VW dealership, VW Canada had tested Canadian >gasolines a few years back and gave their stamp of approval to Shell >gasolines. The independent mechanic to whom I trust my vehicle now, >strongly recommends staying away from ethanol type fuel due to its rubber >destroying tendencies. As for myself, I use fuel from the big three here >in Canada (Shell, Esso, Petro-Canada (formerly Gulf Canada Roy O. '87 >Westfalia (till death us do part)

-- David Marshall, Quesnel BC, mailto:david@volkswagen.org -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KQ -- -- 85 1.8L VW Cabrio, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- USE DAVID@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG WHEN SENDING PMAIL --