Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Sep 1998 12:35:30 -0400
From:         KENYON FAIREY <kfairey@OIT.UMASS.EDU>
Subject:      radiator-fan info
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Dear list members -

While I am not currently "subscribed" I continue to review the list archives. I miss the discussion, but work is the "all powerful" force in my life right now - especially with the start of a new semester at the University.

However, I do need assistance with a question - and what better place to turn to that the List! I did try to run a search on my topic, but received an error message that the search could not be run at this time. So please excuse if this has been asked recently.

This past Sunday I went to the Terryville VW show. At 7 - 9 am in the morning on the highway, when I arrived, parked and turned off my '91 Westy the fan (radiator fan/cooling fan) turned on and ran as usual when the engine is hot. At the end of the extremely hot and humid day (95+ degrees) I drove home on the same 2 hour jaunt - with slow traffic on the Interstate around Springfield road consturction, etc.

During the last 30 min of the drive, I noticed that the temp indicator seemed a little higher than I remembered (to the upperside of the little round indicator lite) although not to the midway or danger point. That worried me a little, so I kept a close eye on it. When I reached home and turned off the engine - the fan did not go on. I was puzzled as it had turned on in the am in cooler weather conditions - same distance.

Should I worry? What should I check? I know the fan has no belt, but is electric. I assume I should find the fuse and start there? There are no leaks and there are no unusual noises. I have just turned 37,700 miles on the well maintained engine.

Any advise would be appreciated. Please e-mail me direct on this one.

Thankx in advance!

Kenyon

'91 White Westy - Greta II A little bragging to do: Shows/Awards this year:

1st Place, Transporters '80 and up - Norwalk, Ct Show 1st Place, Transporters '80 and up - Litchfield Bug Inn, Ct Show Best Stock Vehicle in show - Litchfield Best Watercooled Vehicle - Lake Placid, NY Show 2nd Place, Transporters '80 and up - Terryville Ct Show (how'd that happen?) -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Kenyon Fairey, Re.D. Adjunct Assistant Professor Director, Help Desk Services Human Dimensions of Resource Management Office of Information Technologies Department of Forestry & A 117, Lederle Graduate Research Center Wildlife Management - - - - - - - - - - - - - University of Massachusetts Phone -- (413)-545-4366 Amherst, MA 01003-4640 FAX -- (413)-545-3203 www.oit.umass.edu/kfairey kfairey@oit.umass.edu