Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Sep 1998 21:25:44 -0400
From:         "sh@interlog.com" <sh@INTERLOG.COM>
Subject:      Bus Fire!
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

After a successfull 2 week trip in our newly outfitted (2nd electrical system & accessories etc.), I took the 82 Westfalia our the for the first time in a week. After a short 15 minute drive, I parked the bus, and just as I shut off the ignition, noticed a little smoke coming out of the front vents. I go outside and look underneath and sure enough, flames coming out from under the floor, about half way down the bus. I thought is was about where the auxiliary gas heater is located.

Fortunately I was right across the street from a police station, and they called the fire department, which arrived in about 5 minutes. After hosing out the flames, they proceeded to source out the continuing smoke by tearing out the carpeting and plywood floor, and removing the rear storage bench.

Left with a bit of a burnt out floor but no visible damage to the interior, the tow truck comes, hooks up, and raised the bus, at which point we notice gasoline pouring out from underneath. I guess the gas line got burnt out. After unhooking at the Auto Electric Repair shop, we no longer had any parking brake or clutch - I guess those lines also got burnt.

Insurance appraisor visited the bus at the shop today, and I hear back from the shop owner that the appraisor said they won't fix it - they'll write it off! He thought it started in the catalytic converter, not the gas heater.

Tomorrow someone else from the Insurer is meeting me to "take a statement" and in the next day or so I expect to hear the bad news, i.e. that the "actual cash value" they'll offer won't come anywhere near what it would cost to replace.

It has several locations of seam rust, and 250,000 km. My guess is they'll want to place no value on the complete engine rebuild, (6000 km. ago), new brakes, new gas tank, new starting battery, Cdn$1500 worth of just installed second electrical system (all accessories rewired, dual mode voltmeter, additional lights, 12V outlet, propane detector, Optima 750 battery, isolator, new sink water pump and switch), customized set of removable (with snaps) drapes, premium stereo and speakers, just repainted (3 weeks ago) pop top roof, and full complement working camping accessories.

Shop owner says he would need a few hours (i.e. a couple of hundred dollars), just to clean up and pull down everything from underneath, to give me a guestimate on costs to repair/replace all the parts, lines, and wiring.

Looks like I'm going to have a (usually not winable) fight with the insurance company.

Any predictions on what they'll offer as "actual cash value"? Aside from showing receipts for all of the above, any suggestions on how to get them to raise the offer? I have read the "Auto Insurance Madness" story on Vanagon.com, but that was dealing with a much higher value, and newer, syncro. - Steven Heller Toronto, Canada