Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:19:39 PDT
From:         Sean Bartnik <bartnik@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heat
Comments: To: cstand@U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

>Ok, I put the heat on full, defrost and hot air comes out the top vents. >However, cool air blows out below, on my feet. Is this leakage from the >fresh air vent, or is that system seperate from the heat? On my old bus, >they were the same, and putting plastic wrap on the fresh air ducts (on >the outside) kept the cold air out. It seems like it is different on a >Vanagon, though.

They were not the same system on the old Buses. On the Bus, fresh air was controlled by a blue lever on the dash. The only ducts that fresh air could come out of were the two on the dash near the windows and two on the upper dash at each corner of the windshield, and the two facing the rear behind the front doors. These were completely separate from the warm air ducts on the old Bus, which were found in the front footwell, in the walk through, in the rear of the Bus, and on top of the dash toward the center.

The Vanagon is similar. There is a fresh air system controlled by two levers on the dash. One lever controls how much fresh air is admitted. The other opens or closes off the rear fresh air vents. Fresh air vents in an air-cooled Vanagon are the two on the dash facing the rear, next to the side windows, and the vents in the rear of the van near the ceiling. Westies only have the ceiling vents on the right side. Also, the electric fan is only for fresh air ventilation.

Warm air is controlled by two other levers. One is connected to the heater flapper valves and controls how much heated air is admitted to the cabin. The other controls which outlets it comes from. It is possible to direct the air from the front footwell outlets, the defroster outlets, or the walk-through outlet.

Now, this is ideal. However, as time goes on and gaskets in the air box deteriorate and cables bend, you may find yours works in weird ways. On mine, I always get fresh air in no matter what position I have the control lever in. So in the winter I stuff a towel or two in the fresh air intake. Also, if I attempt to use the electric blower fan with the heat, I will get heat out of some vents and cool fresh air out of others. So turn off the electric blower when you want heat. That's not part of the heating system. Also, to keep fresh air out, close off the two fresh air vents up front at their outlets (sliding lever next to each vent) and close the rear fresh air vents at their outlets. Of course make sure that your heater cables are adjusted properly -- you want them to open the flapper valves all the way when you move the lever to full warm.

Hope this helps :-)

Sean Bartnik Fairfax, Virginia ============================ '81 Vanagon L Westfalia '74 Karmann Ghia convertible http://www.type2.com/bartnik/tech.htm