Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Sep 1998 08:08:10 -0400
From:         Robert Rountree <rountree@PLANETEER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Input on Prestone jumpstart Battery
Comments: To: Vanagon Mailing Lis <Vanagon@vanagon.com>

> -Steven Sittser said ..snip...c hop....

> The advantages of the portable battery are: > - It's portable - you can use it away from the van. (I didn't have >any need for this capability.)

.......this thing is not only a battery that you can have at any location...It's an inverter & charger... It puts out 120 Volts AC from the battery... enough for you to run your laptop w/ CD, or your cell phone/modern, DVC & portable edit bay, keep you GPS'ed ...it's got more than a few different plug types, out putting from it.. it's a battery that you can use as a 120AC source, to recharge your rechargeables......it'll boost start your van, boat, airplane, whatever.. and it will just about store any where... charging away waiting for your next need of 120AC, 12VDC, a boost, or a multiple battery charger... sounds like it fills in for a lot of electrical needs... With all that packed in there... I wouldn't know how well it would actually crankover my van on a Georgian Bay morning in January... And lets see how well it's made in terms of LEAKING...acid... ... which I think has always made these products end up disappearing from the marketplace......

Cheers Rob 87 Westy SyncroGL... Cynosure

---------- > From: S Sittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM> > To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Input on Prestone jumpstart battery? > Date: Wednesday, September 16, 1998 8:12 PM > > > Date: 98-09-13 14:11:29 EDT > > From: maxjoyce@IPA.NET (Max/Joyce Wellhouse) > > > > Have any of the list members bought the $95 Prestone "sealed" lead acid > > battery w/ built in jumpstart cables and charger? ... > > I considered getting one of those sealed portable battery packs. > Since my camper had no auxiliary battery, the camping gear > (lights, etc.) ran off the starting battery, and I thought it would > be awfully easy to accidentally run it down and get stuck. The > portable battery would solve that problem. As I thought more > about it, though, I decided that what I really needed was a true > auxiliary battery. It seemed to make more sense, for the following > reasons: > - Cost of aux battery plus wiring, relay, etc. was not a lot > more than the portable battery would be. > - Aux battery takes less storage space - it's smaller, and tucked away > into otherwise unusable space. > - Aux battery has greater capacity - mine's a 31 amp-hour. > - Aux battery can be used to jump starting battery, just like > portable battery can. > - Aux battery runs all the camping equipment, making it much less > likely that starting battery would ever be run down. > - Aux. battery recharges automatically when engine is running, > and (if a charger is installed too) when camper is plugged in. > > The advantages of the portable battery are: > - It's portable - you can use it away from the van. (I didn't have any > need for this capability.) > - It's much easier to "install" - buy it and you're all done. The aux. > battery is a fair amount of work. > - It's somewhat cheaper. > > So, I went with the permanently installed aux. battery. It was more work > than I thought, but I'm pleased with the result. I wonder sometimes about > getting one of those portable batteries for my Honda wagon, though - for > some reason I keep leaving the headlights on. > > -Steven Sittser