Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:30:36 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw:      one year anniv.
Comments: To: "Roy O." <keepsake@PANGEA.CA>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

>Glad you had a good year and are happy with your vehicle, Eric! But let's >not mislead any Vanagon wannabees...these vehicles can be absolute >nightmares! In spite of following the manufacturers suggested maintenance >schedule religiously, my vehicle has eaten up a lot of my finances in the >past eleven years just to keep it on the road. It has left my family and I >stranded so many times, my eight year old daughter continually questions our >decision to take the van anywhere. These vehicles are great "handyman >specials" which can bankrupt owners who are not mechanically inclined. When >the van is running a-ok, travelling, hauling and camping in it is "heaven" >but when >it's repair time, it's "hell". The only reason I'm on this list is to make >the "hell" more bearable. > >Roy O.

Yeah, I'll second this, although it has *not* been bad for me. A lot of folks around here see that I have four of these things, and ask if they should buy one, since I obviously love them. Usually, after asking a few questions, the answer I give is "no". I *love* my Sun computers, too. People ask if they are expansive, and if Suns work so well, should they buy one? The answer is usually no. I really frosts my cookies when somebody that *should* run a Sun insists on running some WindowsNT crap (I'm using an NT machine right now), but generally folks would not be happy.

Vanagons are the same. For a selected group of people, these are the greatest vehicles around. I *really* love my Syncro Doublecab! But they are not a casual love. They will let you down sometime, require pampering, talking to, etc. This year, my clutch gave out 1500 miles from home, on a Friday afternoon, deep in the hinterlands of the Ozark mountains in Arkansas. Other cars will let you down, but these things seem to delight in choosing the spot. They are rare and strange in most places as well -- not like any other VWs even. So they require a higher degree of owner participation. This is pretty nicely reflected in the list -- far more Hondas are out there, but they don't usually inspire lists...

Malcolm