Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:40:54 PDT
From:         Sean Bartnik <bartnik@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Daytime running lights...so what's the problem here?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM, ray.wei@US.PWCGLOBAL.COM

>>(the DRL operate at lower candle power). It's much easier in broad >daylight (no matter what latitude all you >geographers are in) > >Not true. Some early VW's has 100% candle power and most GM's has it on >the high beam's. The glare will always be the problem. Even NHTSA agreed >and have recommended reducing the intensity of the lights over the next 4 >years.

I have not found this to be the case. As a "runner" for Enterprise Rent-A-Car, I found myself driving lots and lots of new GM cars with daytime running lights. No GM cars use the high beams as the DRLs. That would just be retarded. This is GM we are talking about, but still. Some of their cars utilize the high beam POSITION on the front of the car (usually toward the center of the car) for the DRLs but the DRLs, regardless of their position, are significantly dimmer than even the low beams.

I have never been bothered by glare from true DRLs or even from cars driving during the day with their low beams on. What does bother me is the retards who drive during the day with their high beam headlights on. These are invariably older model cars without DRLs. On GM cars, when you turn on the parking lights or low beam headlights, the DRLs automatically switch off. When turning on the low beams, you can easily see that the low beams are significantly brighter than the DRLs.

I have noticed that some of the first VW models with DRLs were just using the regular low beam headlights (in fact, even the parking and taillights were illuminated). Do they still do that? GM I would say has "true" DRLs in that the headlights are illuminated at a lower power than the normal low beams and no other running lights are illuminated.

I will say that I personally have found cars with DRLs much easier to see from a distance, especially if the cars are gray or black and/or it's a hazy day, or foggy (lots of idiots fail to turn on their lights in fog), or near dawn or dusk. This has saved me a couple times from pulling my slow-moving Vanagon out into the path of a fast-moving car that I otherwise would not have seen.

Although I still fail to see what everyone on this list is worried about. You all have Vanagons. You won't have to worry about DRLs as here in the U.S., the motor vehicle laws cannot be made retroactive.

Sean Bartnik Fairfax, Virginia ============================ '81 Vanagon L Westfalia '74 Karmann Ghia convertible http://www.type2.com/bartnik/tech.htm