Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Sep 1998 07:45:52 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Vanagon Confidenc (was: one year anniv.)
Comments: To: mholser@ADOBE.COM, vanagon@vanagon.com

Vanagon's are not like your average daily driver. They can be heart breaking at times but I think this makes them more like family than a vehicle. I do, however, think that with the proper maintenance you can be confident enough in your van to take it anywhere (hey I have driven up and down the eastern seaboard and across the country in a Vanagon and have never broken down yet). How can you do this. 1. Find a good mechanic. One that knows Vanagons. This doesn't necessarily mean go to the dealer since most dealers are more ignorant about Vanagons than you are and their mechs probably haven't touched one in a year or so (at least that is what it is like on the east coast). Or get busy with a wrench yourself and get to know your van mechanically. 2. Be a detective. When you drive your van to the store do you smell any funny smells, do you hear any strange noises? Do you feel any vibrations that shouldn't be there? Most major breakdowns don't happen instantaneously. They take time and they give tell-tale signs that they are occuring.(The smell of sweetness when you pass the rear of the van, etc.) Yes it is possible for you to have a catastrophic failure with your van right out of the blue. But I think most of these problems that people face are ones they could have prevented if they only took the time to look, listen, smell, etc. 3. Be prepared as much as possible. Leaking head gaskets (which is the primal fear of all Vanagon owners) doesn't have to be a trip ending worry. Take some engine sealer along with you on your trip (I recommend Moroso Ceramic sealer since you can put this in and it will even seal cracked heads for months or even years). Take some hose clamps and duct tape. Take some basic tools with you. Take a gallon of antifreeze/water with you and a few quarts of oil. You would be surprised how many times you can use these basic items to get yourself out of a jam.

So if you want to live in fear that your van will break down and not have any fun with it then go right ahead. But I have had more fun with my vans than I have ever had worries over them and I think you can too. Ken Wilford John 3:16