Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Sep 1998 06:10:21 -0700
From:         Jon B <jbaker@APBOARD.COM>
Subject:      intro, trip through the daises, power windows
Comments: To: "vanagon@vanagon.com" <vanagon@vanagon.com>

I am new to the list and have been lurking in the shadows for a couple of weeks now. There is a lot of great information being passed along here. I has been fun to read. But now down to business.

My first westy was the much beloved '84. I picked it up in Salt Lake City from a much disgruntled loser of a fight with a rather large deer. The front passenger side was hit pretty hard, the radiator was cracked, but the windshield was still intact. After few minutes of hard labor I fixed the front panel damage with a bra and found a radiator for $50 at a local junk yard, installed and drove home. The next four years were awesome. I can count on one hand the number of things that I have owned in my life that have provided me with as much entertainment and satisfaction as my beatup '84 Westy. Four years, many miles and a flattened learning curve later I sold the beast for as much as I bought. I still miss it.

I have owned the '72 for little over a year and although I have had some great trips in it have found that it is not providing the same satisfaction as the 84'. Could be that the learning curve is too steep. I was never afraid to drive the '84 anywhere, but find myself nervous every time I drive the '72 long distance. I am not confident that I can fix it. In fact it may soon be for sale.

I just bought the '90 GL. O so smooth. I looked at Westy's but haven't found any deer damaged candidates yet. Otherwise too $$$. I love the '90 none the less and am excited to bring it back to its former self. There are a few things that need to be fixed, details etc... So as I work through them I am sure you will hear about them.

The first one is in response to Bill Urban's earlier message about his power window regulator. I am facing the same problem with my '90 GL except mine has gone a step further. Upon breaking, the cable was allowed to travel to far and came off the spool inside the unit and jammed in the worm drive. I've been exploring the local junk yards to find a replacement but so far have not been successful. The next step is to rebuild what I have. Has anybody done this before? Can I use a replacement out of other Volkswagens, i.e. Jettas etc...?

Jon L. Baker

Scottsdale

'90 GL '84 Westy (Former Loving Owner) 72 Westy

[message/rfc822]