Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:39:13 -0500
From:         "Roy O." <keepsake@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      DRL
Comments: To: Vanagon List <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

DRL (Dometic Repair Log) Ha! Got ya! OOOO-WHEEEE! Talk about raising people's blood pressure! The next time the subject of DRL comes up, ensure you have a qualified medical nurse by your side! Let's add DRL to the list of taboo subjects (politics and religion). Anyway, I really do have some Dometic info...after pulling my fridge for the first time this summer I found lots of interesting stuff. The exhaust outlet pipe had a small hole corroded through it (fixed that with aluminum muffler tape; a new outlet pipe is $55 CDN); the thermo-switch for the fan was loose (applied some thermo conductivity goop and tightened the switch down); the thermostat sensor wire was wiggling loose (yes, actually wiggling) where it enters the fridge at the back (cleaned away the old caulking and applied fresh silicone for a firm seal); adjusted the flame viewing tube so the flame is more easily seen through the sight hole inside the fridge; cleaned combustion chamber (replaced torn gasket); general cleaning (fridge was covered in spots with sandblasting grit resulting from the vehicle being repainted last year) and tightened numerous screws and bolts which had loosened over the years. The most interesting find was seeing four holes in the bottom of the combustion chamber. These had apparently been drilled by someone during previous fridge service calls. There also were three flat metal washers rattling around on the bottom of the combustion chamber. I called Dometic service who informed me that the holes should not be there...it's supposed to be a sealed system. Calling a local Dometic dealer, I learned that the combustion chamber is no longer available (probably a detrimental side affect of DRL ;>) I think), so I had the holes welded closed. In removing the fridge, I noticed the mounting screws for the fridge and the cabinet face plate were not all the same. During previous fridge service calls, some so-called professional had probably lost the original screws and replaced them with generic screws. I cannot locate a supplier for the original screws (tried VW dealers, various local RV dealers, hardware stores and van conversion shops). I also removed a portion of the fibreglass wall insulation that was touching the floor behind the cabinets to avoid floor rust behind the cabinet. This was brought to light in a previous posting by another listee, who shall remain nameless since I don't remember who it was. Thanks anyways! I also replaced the screws for the exterior camping accessory covers with stainless steel screws. It's beyond me why a manufacurer would not use stainless steel hardware for exterior applications. It's not like stainless steel hardware cost a fortune. Cost me about $1.50. Re-installed the fridge then discovered the propane tank valve was leaking! Cost a few Canadian pesos to replace that.

So, boys and girls, it pays to remove that technological cooling marvel to see what the spirits have been doing back there. By the way, the fridge works. (It did before so what's the problem?) Oh, just one more thing....My spell checker flags 'DOMETIC' and suggests 'DOGMATIC' as a replacement. The definition of dogmatic is "characterized by an authoritative, arrogant assertion of unproved or unprovable principles." Just one more way to say Dometic.

Roy O. '87 Westfalia (till death us do part) DRL rule! ;>)

[text/html]