Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Sep 1998 14:35:08 -0400
From:         Mark Hudgik <mhudgik@THE-SPA.COM>
Subject:      Re: intro, trip through the daises, power windows
Comments: To: Jon B <jbaker@APBOARD.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Had a similar problem after trying to open the frozen drivers door window...black plastic elbow guide for cable broke off and cable became a tangled mess on the take up reel. This was a couple of winters ago so I'm fuzzy on the details, these are more words of encouragement than an actual how-to....

After unbolting the window lift channel, regulator and motor assembly, a friend of mine and I fished the regulator assembly and motor out the large opening below the window. The extra pair of hands (and eventually a third) was a BIG help. We then pop-riveted the plastic guide back in place, opened the motor assembly and rewound the cable on the spool.

Because the spool winds up one end of the cable as it despools it from the other end, it took a while to figure out which way to wind the cable. The most time consuming part was getting it tight enough to slip the second cable end into the retainer hole on the reel. We clamped the motor assembly in a vise and used several pairs of pliers (vise grips) to hold/stretch the cable around the spool. (There were a *LOT* of kinks in the cable)

The rewind took about 2 1/2 hours and a wife. It took only 15 minutes once my friend's wife got involved... she had more patience and was able to successfully coordinate the six hands w/tools. <g>

At the time, I figured the tension in the cable would "iron out the kinks" and that seems to have been true. Initially there was some subtle clicking when opening/closing the window, that disappeared after a couple of weeks. Going on two years now and it's been quiet and troublefree.

- Mark ** 91 Carat **

At 06:10 AM 9/18/98 -0700, Jon B said something similar to: >I am new to the list and have been lurking in the shadows for a couple >of weeks now. >. >. >. >Upon breaking, the cable was allowed to travel to far and came off the >spool inside the unit and jammed in the worm drive. I've been exploring >the local junk yards to find a replacement but so far have not been >successful. The next step is to rebuild what I have. >Has anybody done this before? >Can I use a replacement out of other Volkswagens, i.e. Jettas etc...? > >Jon L. Baker > >Scottsdale > >'90 GL >'84 Westy (Former Loving Owner) >72 Westy >