Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:51:32 -0700
From:         Neil Wigley <wigley@MAIL.FUNTV.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Confidenc (was: one year anniv.)
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Concerning Vanagon confidence, brought up by: >Ken Wilford >John 3:16,

I've been around in my '87 Westy, bought in '94 in Windsor Ontario. Went to the West Coast that summer (came over I-8 from Yuma to SDiego in July; a climb from below zero ft to 3800 above sea level in a few miles, temp above 100, Vanagon temp gauge didn't even move!), Florida the next spring, St John's Newfoundland in June '95 (that's a wonderful trip for those of you in the East) and up to Inuvik in the summer of '96 with the Top-of-the-World group. Then to the tip of Baja last January.

To answer your obvious question, I taught math at that time; now retired.

Troubles I've had many, but almost all of them with warning, e.g. the lovely smell of sweetness at the rear bumper cost me less than $2K in USbucks, the transmission mount was C$250. These things needn't be performed today or even tomorrow, just pretty soon.

On the road? Well, the first trip West the car would die after a rainstorm and stay dead for twenty minutes. Tuneup fixed that.

Best was the jaunt from W Newfoundland, where, yes there is a VW dealer, to St John's in the E of Nfld, where the other dealer is. Starter went out early, but no pblm, just push start.

But nearing St John's it started running ragged, then raggeder, then raggedest as we hit the city limits. From smooth to bucking to not running in about 50km. Fortunately the Trans-Can Hwy is downhill at that point. Found a Firestone dealer, where they recommended the non-official VW dealer, who put in new oxy sensor (the culprit) and new/rebuilt Bosch starter, charged C$800+. But, back in Ontario, I got my Nfld salestax on the parts refunded! A trivial-sounding sum to those of you who deal in greenbacks and know the unearthly current exchange rate (shoulda taken that summer trip to Canada, folks!), but hey a lagniappe is a lagniappe!

The Inuvik trip was without event (for me). Oh, the alternator belt, N of Whitehorse. Next gas station had one (3 km).

Moral learned from the Inuvik trip: don't mess with passenger car tires on the Westy. Virtually all of the flats encountered were with them, not with the load range 'C'. Mine were Costco Uniroyal Laredos (now called Kirkland brand; alleged to be 'the same as the Laredos, in any event at $48 the price is right!).

Moral learned from all of the above: if well maintained, the Vanagon is reliable, if costly. But most of the problems come with a heap of warning.

I shall now knock on wood for the rest of the day.

Neil, now of San Diego