Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Sep 1998 13:09:17 -0400
From:         Bill Knight <bill@NS.ESC.STATE.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: Flashing Cooling Light
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

I had the same problem when I replaced the coolant level sensor on my 85 Vanagon. The light started flashing again a few months after replacement. I finally fixed it for good by giving the contacts in the connectors a good cleaning, then coating the plug (but not the contacts!) with dielectric grease before plugging it back together. This has solved the problem by sealing the contacts away from the elements. Seems that just a slight bit of oxidation on these plug contacts cause the light to flash. (Likewise for the FI temp sensor as well - cleaning and using dielectric grease has also solved mysterious FI problems for me as well).

Bill Knight Raleigh, NC