Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Sep 1998 22:08:58 -0500
From:         "John H. Rodgers" <inua@QUICKLINK.NET>
Subject:      On the road again (long)
Comments: To: Vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

-- [ From: John H. Rodgers * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

"Free at Last, Free at Last, Great God Almighty Free at Last!!!". ***************************** To Martin Luther King, there was deep meaning in those words. And there is strong meaning for me too, but in a different vein.

I'M FREE AT LAST!!!! I have my vanagon back on the road!!!!!!

It's a story!!!!

Somewhere around the end of July or 1st of August my tranny seemingly went out. Hard shifting, some grinding. At first had a difficult time finding someone to work on it. A canvas of the shops in the greater Birmingham Area Turned up a bunch of VW shops that wouldn't touch a Vanagon with a ten foot pole. Very frustrating. Finally, someone put me onto a shop that specialized in V-Dubs. Unfortunately, they only would work on air-cooled models.

However, they DID know someone who did work on the Vanagons.......and that was my salvation. They sent me to Rogers Automotive, Bessmer, Alabama, right down the street.

Roger saved my bacon. I dropped the van off with him, and he test drove it while I was out working. When he go back he started to work. Out came the transaxle, out came the clutch. Roger called and said come over. He had something to show me.

When I arrived, he took me to his work bench. There was my clutch, clutch housing, pilot shaft, and dismantled transaxle. He showed me the flywheel all scarred up. Recommended having it machined. I agreed. he then showed me the pilot shaft, and clutch housing. he showed that the pilot bearing had failed allowing the pilot shaft to wobble which in turned wobbled out the oil return sleeve and the hole in the casting that it passed through. He also showed me threads that had separated from the stub axle retaining nut boss in the transmission housing. All this added up to trouble.

He told me....new pressureplate, new clutch disc, new pilot shaft and bearing, new throw-out bearing, AND a new clutch housing casting, AND a new transmission housing.

The saving grace was that he did not recommend replacing/overhauling the internal works in the transaxle.

I was blown away. $$$$$$$$ I saw them passing in front of my eyes. After a considerable discussion about the internal components of the transaxle, Roger said that ordinarily he would recommend that it be overhauled, but it was in such good condition he didn't feel the expense was justified.

That was a relief. So while Roger took care of getting the parts for the clutch, and got the flywheel machined, and a few other things, I went to work looking for a clutch housing and tranny case. First call to the VW dealer told me I was in trouble. $780 for the clutch housing. I didn't even ask about the tranny housing.

After a bit of thought, I contacted Todd Hill of Volkswerks in Olympia Wa. Todd had the clutch housing that I needed and he shipped it right out. He also knew where to get the tranny housing. So, in time, all the parts finally came together at Rogers garage. Two days later Roger called and said its ready.

And was it ever. New tranny and clutch work like a dream. Total cost....$875 .

Roger and Todd ......a couple of good guys across the continent from each other, two good guys to know and do business with.. Todd is on the list, Roger is not, but he is in the phone book for Bessemer, Alabama. which is within the confines of the greater Birmingham area.

John Rodgers '85 GL Driver Clayartist/Moldmaker