Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Sep 1998 14:55:31 +1000
From:         David Yates <d.yates@BOTANY.UQ.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Fix for ATF leak in '82 aircooled Vanagon?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Greetings folks, from downunder.

About 18m ago I replaced the rear engine seal, the front transmission seal and a rear seal between the transmission and automatic box on my '82 aircooled Transporter (Vanagon). I also replaced the large paper gasket and O-ring between the auto box and the differential. Only the front seal was leaking when hot, but I thought that seeing I had to pull the thing out, I would replace all seals. Now, maybe 15,000km (10,000m) later, ATF is leaking seriously - especially when the vehicle is stopped. The leak comes from between the auto transmission and differential. From memory, the seal at the back of the differential was VERY expensive - like 5-10 times a 'typical' seal (it was two separate seals). I need to take the vehicle on holiday next week, and want to do the least work possible, but don't want to take risks.

Has any one any comments or suggestions please? Can I remove the auto gearbox WITHOUT taking out the differential? Bentley doesn't suggest this is possible. Given that it is ATF that is leaking, and NOT differential oil (or a mixture) am I right in assuming it can only be the O-ring or the paper gasket that is at fault?

I would be grateful for any comments please.

Within a fortnight this person, who was fooled, will report on the (hopeful) fix for a long-standing and baffling stalling problem I have had.

David Yates '82 auto aircooled Transporter/Vanagon