Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Sep 1998 01:38:25 -0500
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      AC & Idle Stabilizer (Joys and Woes)
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM
Comments: cc: Dan <rous56@aol.com>

Thank you all (7 responses in 24 hours!) for your helpful suggestions about my 2000 rpm idle when the a/c is switched on. All of your comments have been saved and will be carefully considered .

Up here in the great Northland, the a/c season is fast drawing to a close. Thus, the need to speedily resolve this issue is not too urgent. Since I am paying my trusty mechanic to handle such matters, and there are at least a few items of greater timeliness (such as a leaking cv joint and front shocks), the a/c idle issue will have to wait.

When the a/c is not used (at any time after the engine has been turned on), the idle is just fine at 1000 rpm, so I really am wondering what is occuring in the a/c circuitry that bumps it up to 2000 rpm. Note that the 2000 rpm idle occurs consistently once the a/c has been switched on, regardless of whether the compressor or coolant fan are engaged or not. The only reliable way of shifting the idle back to 1000 rpm is to turn off the engine, wait a short while (longer than a few seconds anyway) and then restart without the a/c.

BTW, the idle problem would not have even come up if my a/c had not been functioning fine otherwise. It was thoroughly tested on a 1200 mile round trip to BBTA two weeks ago at 95 F with dewpoints in the 70s.

BTW2, it was great meeting some of you at BBTA. As anticipated, the event was large, friendly, and memorable.

My previous problem of icing up the evaporator was traced to an improperly located capillary tube, one clogged drain line, and an evaporator housing that was slanted the wrong way due to the common problem of cracked plastic support brackets. Extraordinary high pressure in the refrigerant lines (which kept popping holes in the high pressure hose) and intermitent coolant fan operation were caused by poor grounds for my coolant fan connections near the fuse box. It has taken all summer to diagnose and cure, but my a/c system seems finally to be working properly.

So, even with the idle nuisance, I am pleased with the operation of my a/c. This is especially gratifying as it is the first time that the system has been operable in the two years in which I have owned this van.

Budd Premack 86 Syncro, 73 Super Minneapolis, MN (Land of Sky-Blue Waters)