Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Sep 1998 13:15:48 -0700
From:         Russell Barr <guzziot@LOCALACCESS.COM>
Subject:      Re: cranks and cylinder shims
Comments: To: Bus List <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Dunno about the crankshaft clearance, but you can deburr those shims on a piece of sandpaper taped to a piece of flat wood or metal. (probably the most cost effective tool in all of metalworking) Just be careful not to take them out of parallel, though that would be pretty hard to do. Russell

---------- > From: jdinan <jdinan@erols.com> > To: type2@type2.com > Subject: cranks and cylinder shims > Date: Sunday, September 20, 1998 12:19 PM > > I just split the case on my 1776 to replace the stock crankshaft with a > counterweighted one which I have yet to purchase. I could use help with > two items: > > 1. After reading the recommendations on this list, I will check prices on a > Demello and a RIMCO crank. Will these reworked cranks be compatible with > the standard main bearings which I have in my case? > > 2. I was running a set of 0.040 cylinder shims to drive the compression > ration down to 7 but the engine ran very hot. To reduce heat generation, I > bought a set of 0.060 cylinder shims from RMMW. I just looked at them and > found that they are truly ugly pieces of metal. They are obviously stamped > out. Their surfaces are not at all smooth. On one, there is a piece of > metal that has been rolled over during the stamping so that it sticks out > of the plane of the shim. The only oil leak I had with my previous rebuild > came from the joint between #4 cylinder and the case, an area which > included one of the 040 shims. I can bet that if I install these 060s, I > will have serious oil leaks. My question is can I do better than this? > Do any vendors sell shims that are machined and or polished? > > Thanks, Jack > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- > To leave the list, send an UNSUBSCRIBE message to TYPE2-REQUEST@TYPE2.COM > -------------------------------------------------------------------------