Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Sep 1998 18:25:20 -0400
From:         James Cohen <jscohen@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: 5cyl EV engine in Vanagon?
Comments: To: vanagon@gerry.sdsc.edu

>The transmission bolt pattern of the Audi I5 and the EV I5 are the same. >They may indeed sit at different angles so this is why the oil pump pickup >and oil pans are different. Good luck on installing it and let me know >what you use for an transmission adapter and flywheel!

I didn't think about the bolt patterns, HMMMMM. I"m going to look to South Africa for an adapter, since Audi engines come in Vanagons from the factory. Same thing for the flywheel.

Supposedly the Audi is VERY adaptable to the Van.

>Why supercharge the I5? Get a "MC" engine from a 1986 to 1990 Audi >5000/200 Turbo. 168hp from the factory and with a little help 230hp isn't >hard.

CAuse, this is what I've got? Besides, I'm putting this into a Westy, and the Audi engines need the rear deck raised like 4" which would make the bed unusuable. However, the gear which alows the EV engine to be at a more severe angle MIGHT allow either the Audi or the EV I-5 to fit. I'll be looking into that! We'll see.

But this project is on the back burner until I can shoe-horn a VR6 into my '87 GTI winter car. Right now it's got the G60 engine in it, but I need MORE power. ;)

James