Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Sep 1998 22:04:54 EDT
From:         Kim Brennan <KBrennan@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Verify Analysis (opinions wanted)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

On Friday night, when I went to make use of the Syncro to go to the movies, I ran into an odd problem. The engine started (and it ran fine), but the headlights wouldn't turn on. (We took another vehicle to movies).

On Saturday I took the van for a short hop to the parts store and realized several other things (in addition to the headlights) weren't working. The AC fan didn't come on. The Fresh air fan didn't come on. The wipers (front and rear) didn't work, the wiper washers didn't work.

Most everything else did (turn signals, interior light, radio, etc.)

So I started looking into something common that all of these 'failed' items had that the non-failed ones didn't. All the failed items were on pretty much the same ground ...except the rear wiper and washer. But the grounding checked out. Then I noticed a really odd behavior.

If the light switch was on (headlights and fogs didn't work, but running lights were on) and then I hit the high beam switch AND HELD IT, all the non- function stuff worked!

Looking over the circuit diagram, I saw that the high beam switch could act as a bridge between two of the 'hot' lines...and further than everything that wasn't working was on the "X" line. The "X" line is pulled from the regular hot line ("30" in the diagram) via the Load Reduction Relay. However, I pulled that same relay from my Fox and got the same results (everything works on my Fox). So it wasn't the relay...

The relay has a line that goes through the light switch but the switch all checks out...

Additionally the line to the light switch also goes to the ignition switch. Now, if I'm reading this all correctly, the hot line on the ignition switch (Red wire) should put voltage on the Black-Yellow wire ("X" circuit) when the ignition switch is in the on position. Mine doesn't. So, if I'm right in my analysis, it looks like I need a new ignition switch, right?